mounting a D Ring on Bell k1 sport

If it came pre-drilled for a HANS, I'd use that hole. If no holes exist currently, you can very carefully peel back the cheekpiece and drill a hole in the proper location. I'd use a 1/8" drill bit at slow speed, and use a vacuum to remove dust while doing so. I'd then use grade 8 hardware to attach the flange portion.

However, there are safety issues associated with a shoulder strap, so I'd leave the helmet alone and either do a resistance training regimen for your neck or turn some more laps and get the "natural" exercise.

I have ran a head restaint strap on my helmet for years. Have a bulging disc in my neck that is not quite bad enuf for them to cut on. (Yet, but i love racing) anyway. You can't drive to your best ability if your head is laying on the engine. (I have gopro vids from indoor concrete race to prove this)
Also, I have researched these straps extensively throughout the years and I have never heard of any safety issues with the use of one, when they are installed in the correct location, and adjusted properly.
I can send you pics of exactly where mine is located if you need me to. I run a K-1 sport in the UAS. the location of the d ring on the helmet is very important!! Next, the driver has to learn to adjust the strap correctly!! it takes some getting used to. And ,yes, I will adjust mine while racing. you have to make it comfortable for the driver and functional both. send me a pm if you would like pics.
Matt#42 OVUAS

The Hans post hole is too far back. On the K1 it should be about 1" up from the bottom and anout 1" forward of the chinstrap mount.

Back