mounting body

owenracing9

I have read somewhere that the recommendation is to mount the RH side of the body 1/4" higher up than the LH side of the body so that when you go in the turns and the chassis rolls a little it puts the body in a more "flat" state.

Is this the recommendation for a Triton?
Also, how high off the ground do you recommend on the LH side?
(I was thinking I saw a recommendation for 3/4")

I wish I could find where I saw this, as I was thinking it was a PRC video or something, but can't put my finger on where i saw/read it.

Thanks for the advice!!

Aerodynamics
Edwards

I've recently had several discussions with customers and friends that have said "a kart that goes 60 mph is not affected by air flow." In response, I'd like to quote former NASCAR driver and current announcer Darrell Waltrip, "anything that moves is affected by aerodynamics."

A kart is probably one of the most aerodynamically challenged vehicles in the world, but like with any vehicle, you have to balance a kart's body design with practical functionality. Yes, we could design and build an exotic design, but cost and practicality will prevent it from ever being used. Does PRC in fact have the "perfect kart body?" Definitely not.

Putting design aside, let's turn your attention to adjusting what you already have. It's obvious that the most important component in the aerodynamic package is the nose itself. Different nose designs will produce more or less down force, but there is another factor that greatly affects the efficiently of any nose and that is how it is mounted.

One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a kart with the nose mounted 3" off of the ground, and pointed up in the front. Then the driver complains, "this thing pushes like a bulldozer..." I guess so; you're forcing all of the air under the kart, instead of over it.

If you've watched any NASCAR races recently, you may have noticed that they place a lot of emphasis on car travel and sucking the car down to the track. This is done to increase down force by forcing more air over the car instead of under. We don't have suspension to provide travel, but we still want the body as close to the ground as possible, without it hitting or rubbing.

You cannot race a kart with the nose 1/4" off of the ground and it be functional. We have found that for most dirt tracks you can run an average of 7/8" ground clearance. Usually, we set ours so that the left side has 3/4" and the right side has 1" clearance on a level surface. This allows the body to become pretty level when the kart is loaded in the corners.

Another advantageous aerodynamic accessory is the rear floor pan. Our rear floor pans allow the air that does get under the kart to flow evenly, instead of being caught on various parts of the chassis. In addition, the rear deflectors helps to remove the air from underneath the chassis, thus creating more down-force. And as you know, more down-force equals more speed!

From PRC connections

Kart? Aerodynamics? Efficiency? LOLOLOL...... The only way to get "smooth" airflow under the chassis would be to take a giant sheet of 4'x8' HDPE and trace the outline of the kart on it, cut it out, cut out the smallest possible arcs for the tires to roll in, then zip-tie it to the whole underside of the kart, including the spaces underneath the nerf bars. THEN mount the body and seal the seams between the new HDPE floorpan and the body. If you did all that, and it was legal, THEN possibly the rear "naca duct" would work. As it is, there's so much turbulence from the rough track surface, exposed kart rails, spindles, driver, motor, etc. that the claims that such a scoop evacuates air is dubious IMO. Aero drag increases as a cube of the speed, so every time you double the speed, the drag quadruples. If you want to go faster, reduce your frontal area and maintain downforce somehow (angling nose, spoilers, etc.) and run the biggest legal driver fairing possible as close to the driver as possible. Should you doubt my claim that airflow around a kart is turbulent, please watch the linked video. Anywhere you see smoke seperating or twirling, airflow isn't laminar (smooth) or optimum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWBsuUJ8-8U - Sprint Kart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjHao57hlo - Unlimited Dirt Kart

Well ... I mounted my Triton body on my Triton frame this past weekend. Let's just say that the measurements given in the PRC Connections article did not quite work out for me.

I used Maxxis tires, blue left and pink right, at 4.5 psi on LH tires and 5 psi on RH tires.

In the article it says put body at 3/4" off ground at LH. I put the LH at 1" and the body was sitting on the tire. Likewise at 1" the front adjustable mounts (not the long mount on the very front, but the next body mount back that has one on each side) was lowered as far as it would go and it still lacked about 1/4" before touching the body.

I did get it mounted and I think it looks decent for a newbie, but it definitely ain't at the numbers in the article.

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong or mis-interpreted what the article was saying?

I do have some pictures that might help - if needed.

Back