Moving the LR wheel out/in accomplishes what....

slidewayskart

I've always been perplexed in my own mind by the LR tire and its effect on handling on both dirt and asphalt. With all other tires the same how will this affect the car? We are running a class with suspension and a mandated tire width so eliminating that from the thought process it always seemed to me moving it out would make the car tighter as a whole as its harder to steer OVER the track width you are adding in the rear with the front tires. Conversely if you are moving the LR IN you are probably adding static weight to it which increases grip on that tire and could do the same thing in making the car tight. Even though it would rotate easier because of the LS tires being more in-line or even having the LR inset of the LF slightly.

on dirt moving the rr in will make it tighter and out will loosen it up ,, and it don't take much,, like 1/4 inch or less,,thats if your dialed in pretty close,, JMO

what are you running with suspension?normally you run the right a 1/4 or less off the brg bracket and the left rear about an inch to start with giving you 39 to 39 1/2 in the rear. scale the kart there to get your numbers. If your tight there move the left out an 1/8 at a time to free you up on entry, if you push off add cross.

I've seen so many different suggestions on what all these things do, I wonder. If it were me, I would play with all the suggestions and see what works for you. Your kart, your weight, your tires, your driving style, probably all these things will have some affect on what things will do. Then you have to consider the track you're driving on. Different dirt, track layout, meaning turn radius, banking, length of straights, all have an effect on setup.

There are so many things to learn, is it any wonder the more experienced drivers are upfront.

This isnt a kart. Its like a dirt dwarf car. Basically a golf cart. It sits on a swing arm and has 4 mandated shocks and 60-100lb springs. So like i said leaving the suspension stagger and weight placement out of it the position of the LR wheel accomplishes what. Similar theory to a micro sprint which usually uses the same logic. It has always been my experience that moving it in helps the car rotate and turn. I was told by someone recently that has been around racing his whole life to move it out on pavement to free the car up... which i was skeptical of. It would seem to me the only way this would work is to have it out so far that it has so little weight on the wheel that it lifts up and unloads making the car 1wd to spin it through the turn.

Great point Jack...Wheel spacing is deff.one of them.The main reason is your wheel rates are being changed because the distance from the spring to the tire is changed moving the tire out softens wheel rate while adding tread width.When you move tire closer to the spring you stiffen or add wheel rate while narrowing tread width.Springs and how they are loaded or so-called setup numbers are very critical...

Great point Jack...Wheel spacing is deff.one of them.The main reason is your wheel rates are being changed because the distance from the spring to the tire is changed moving the tire out softens wheel rate while adding tread width.When you move tire closer to the spring you stiffen or add wheel rate while narrowing tread width.Springs and how they are loaded or so-called setup numbers are very critical...
Not to mention shocks. The spring determines how much weight the wheel gets but the shock controls when it gets it.

On pavement if you are bicycling the kart where the left side tires both raise up off the ground.... widening the LR out will fix that. That's on a straight rail kart.

Not to mention shocks. The spring determines how much weight the wheel gets but the shock controls when it gets it.

Bingo. Once you get the setup in the ballpark, it's amazing what can be done fiddling with shock rates. Springs and shocks make it a whole new ballgame - not a cheap one, but a very effective one.

Back