My life in karting

Ohio83

Good evening all,

As I sit on this West bound plane somewhere over the Rocky's at 34,000 feet, I figured now was as good of a time as any to put some of my self-torment and inner thoughts on this "Karting Life" we all share to some point or degree.

Imagine my surprise when I opened Bob's upon my arrival to find an earlier post titled, "When is it time to hang it up?". While it's somewhat similar to why I came here to post it is also a bit different in a few regards,

Growing up karting at Willowdell, Ohio I first hit the track in 1987 while staying a summer in Ohio with my grandparents when we lived in Florida. My cousin, Jeff Wright, put me in his Margay chassis with T2 tires and with the smell of the alky, I was hooked as soon as the thing fired up to life.

Now at age 38 with two teenage sons and a two year old daughter, a corporate job as the Vice President of a very large corporation and very little free time to do anything I find myself in a constant inner struggle which up until this point was difficult to share with anyone. A lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the addiction we have to this Karting Life and therefore it's hard to have just anybody give their thoughts and opinions on the subject.

After racing on and off for over 25 years, it's easy to step back and see the pros and cons of both staying in karting and getting out and walking away for good. In the 80's we raced for fun and something to do on the weekend with Dad and friends. Willowdell was just one of those tracks that had an environment and soul all its own. It was like stepping into a whole different world for those 12 hours. Maybe I remember it differently because I was young and a young mind is easily overtaken by the awe and distortion of how large something truly is.

In the 90's and 2000's we ran very competitively. Traveling all across Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, Alabama and Mississippi racing as many races as we could find. Just Dad and me riding down the highways having fun, often arguing and late nights of me sleeping on his lap while he drove us home at 3am. It was a great adventure and I couldn't have asked for a better companion along the way. I still credit spending all those weekends at the tracks with my Dad for the fact that I don't drink, smoke or party because as a teen, I had more important things to do and I had a Dad to keep me busy.

Three years ago I started dating my fiancé and we were driving through Ft. Wayne with my boys in the back seat when we passed the Coliseum. At this point I had been out of karting for almost three to four years and only logged maybe two visits to a kart track during that time. (I knew if I went back, the urge would find it's way into my blood again.) As we passed the building we couldn't help but notice all the trailers and rigs in the lot and she asked, "I wonder what is going on in there tonight." and then it dawned on me, THE RUMBLE!!!

We went into the building, watched all the races and she says to me, "This is what you used to do? I like it, you should get back into it again." That's all I needed to hear because it wasn't a few weeks later and Dad and I had our own kart again. We ran that kart for a few months before I bought my Platinum, tons of tires, set up goodies, preps by the boat loads, tire resurfacer, KSR clone, carbon-fiber this and that and anything else I could get to make me faster.

Fast forward two years later and yes we did have a decent return from karting after being away for so long and for running a chassis on Burris that not too many other people run and therefore unlike the Slacks or Tritons, there isn't a lot of people to bounce set-up ideas or numbers off of. That same love of my life that talked be back into the seat absolutely HATES the very mention of anything remotely linked to karting.

She says that it costs too much money, takes too much time and keeps me away from the family for far too long both during the week and during the race day. She also wasn't very fond of the smell of goat-pee slowly creeping its way into our house from our trailer and through our garage. :)

Now I'm stuck with this inner struggle and it's only grown worse with the recent passing of Dad. Karting was "us". It's what we did together, it's what we loved together and sometimes it was even what kept us from talking some nights on the way home. I loved nothing more than coming down the front stretch and seeing Dad at the other end, smiling and enjoying his day at the track surrounded by friends and the smells and sounds of the track.

Should I feel guilty because I still want to race? Should I hang up my lifelong love to focus more on my family and my children? Does it make me a bad person, husband, father because I enjoy racing karts and spending my hard earned money on a hobby for only me to enjoy?

Anyone who knows my family knows that even though I'm a single-income family with six total mouths to feed, nobody goes without. Even with that being said, I can't help but feel guilty for taking time away from my kids childhood and money away from my family to do something that only I enjoy doing on the weekends.

Explaining it to her or the kids doesn't do any good. I race...that's what I do. Some people hunt, some fish, some paintball, some drink themselves to the grave, some go to strip bars, some snort or shoot up drugs but me....I race. Why is it that I'm the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with it and why is it that if it's alright to do; that I feel all this guilt inside for wanting to race again. I can't even bring myself to talk to her about it because I know how much she hates the idea.

Long story short, how do all you other guys cope with the give and take of family time, family feelings, etc...over your karting habit?

I miss my father and with no other hobbies to lean on, it's just a matter of time before I loose my mind amongst this inner struggle.

Thanks all.

Very well said.
As a retired military man I can tell you that time your missing with your kids. Well you will never get it back. So you need to find balance with your family and racing. I gave up the drivers seat last year and put my son in his own. It was hard a first, heck I kept my kart race ready the entire first year. Now it just sits with no engine, tach, or tires.

I am pretty sure no one on Bob's is going to have the right answer for you. I think you didnt become VP by not listening to people. I also think the one you should be listening to is already talking to you. You might want to talk it over with her more. JMO.

I feel your pain brutha !! I am allowed to race once a month... as long as that don't cross dates with something that SHE wants me to do with her. Like shopping for a new couch or flooring or curtains or ....... Family first and things will be much happier !

I've quit and resumed racing 6 or 7 times now. And in all that, have learned both extremes are bad -- being selfish (which racing naturally is...) is bad, but so is being so "selfless" that you don't feed your own soul. Only you can find the balance, but perhaps you need to explain to your wife just what about, and why, racing is so important to you. My wife will never understand, but she tolerates racing. As longs as I keep a relative balance. We both give and take some. And it helps that her dad used to race MX in the 70's... He's my pit crew, so there's some built-in support there too. If you can make racing a family activity again, perhaps that will help. But because my dad and I spent too much time racing and he didn't spend enough time addressing his relationship needs, racing also contributed to my parents' divorce. Find the balance and you'll be OK, imo. Just don't let either side get bitter without fixing the reason why. Good luck!

You have to have something to take your mind away from family and work, its a shame that kids now days do not want to be like dad. There are just to many distractions, ( Video games, Stick and ball sports) after jumping around for years, everytime back to karting. I explained it to the wife,they are my people I fit in,I'm at home with them,I do not have to impress any of them they take me for what I am.

Do your sons have any interest in racing? You could become your Dad, and they could become you from yesteryear. My oldest son has raced for 25 years, they youngest for 18 years. Wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Dave.

I loved my wife very much, she was great, and at 1st she didn't like karting either. But she came around after a time. One day I asked her why; "because I'd rather be with you than spend the weekends with my mother" lol

she never asked me to give it up. And that's good because, if she had ever told me, "it's me or karting", my only thought would have been, "I'm going to miss that girl".

One concession I made; although she never ate breakfast at home, we always had to stop for breakfast on the way to the track.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

I began racing 1955, APBA out-board hydro-planes, got interested in Karts after seeing an article about a Mercury out-board motor on a kart, went from boats to drag racing, 55 Ford Wagon, 5-6 rails, then built a DIRT Modified stock car, got out of that and bought my first kart, a Yamaha kart with the front all mangled up from a Dirt oval wreck, that was 1980,been doing karts on and off since then, much easier now that I'm retired and can almost afford it. Keeps me out of the bars. My wife used to score when our boys raced, that lasted 12-15 yrs. then they just lost interest. I'm now 76 and as involved as ever.

I met my wife while I was driving stock cars, but stopped driving shortly after my dad passed and my first daughter was born. I kept in it by doing cage and interior sheetmetal work on the side- and we really needed the dough back then. Fast forward 25 years- I have a great job and 3 daughters, all accomplished equestrians, and have spent enough money to feild a Cup team on livestock. Love watching them jump- but I can't afford to fall off one myself. Long story short, at the age of 55 i bought a kart and race pavement pretty much every Saturday with my youngest daughter in tow. The wife is usually with the bigger girls at soccer or a jumper show at the same time, and has never seen me race a kart. I race against a great group of guys all about my age that are good drivers and financially secure enough to feild stronger equipment than most but old enough to know that crashing costs money, energy and time we don't want to blow. At any point in time we're the fastest stuff on the track- and my average weekend costs me about 80 bucks. My youngest and I are really bonding, I come home a better man, and frankly my expenses are a drop in the bucket compared to the girls'. Here's the caveat with me that differs from yours: I don't travel or tour- KGS is 30 minutes away and I only race there-, and i run pavement so there's none of the tire drama and expense associated with dirt. My deal has pretty much been change the oil in that animal weekly , change yellows every 6 races , and tape up the body when i tear it up. My 2 hour each way Wash DC commute wouldn't allow for much more during the week, and my commitments to the family wouldn't either. It's been therapy for this old man, though- and cheaper than counselling!

I can't imagine a lot of guys out there actually feel guilty for having a hobby that doesn't involve the wife or children. Do people who not race really view us as poor fathers, husbands, people because we race and it sometimes requires a few extra hours away from our families? Oddly enough nobody views me in a bad light when I spend 80+ hours per week working my tail off when others American's sit on the couch and live off my hard labor and countless days spent thousands of miles away from my loved ones.

Do I enjoy flying over 250,000+ miles per year? Irregardless of what others may think, I do not but what I don't do is allow it to bring me down to the point that I hate my job. I love what I do but I don't always love the sacrifices it takes to provide what I can. If I just tell myself that I enjoy it and deal with what ever the requirements are then it doesn't seem so bad in the end but that doesn't mean for one second that I love traveling or being away from my family.

Maybe I don't even want to race...maybe it's just me holding onto that last connection I have to my Dad. Who knows??? All I know is that it sickens me to that people look into the pits at any racetrack and see selfish, terrible Dad's doing something they enjoy to do for themselves.

Don't know if this would help, but try it.....................is she a driver ? get her in a kart some laps with a few other new comers around then take it from there ......
Make sure she has a good kart to run with the rest............................Good luck...........

...there's always the "backyard track" option (for those with land) and racing only for fun with none of the other hassles. YMMV.

Great story and I feel right where your coming from and nice to know that I'm not the only one in this situation the only difference is that it's me and my 10 yr old daughter she been doing with me since 5 yrs old me since 2008. Any way I have no intentions of quitting so the rest of them can take a pill and get over it! Lol!

As a parent, do what you can to try to include your kids. I have a 6 year old son who i'm trying to implant the beginning of life lessons in his head in my race shop. Much like you Ohio, racing is what keeps me closest to my father (even though i work for him). It's something we can talk about after work, something we can do on a weekly basis, and i hope as my son gets older, something my father, myself and my son can all do together. I just had a nasty split with the woman i thought i would marry over driving race cars. She doesn't understand that my drive and dedication for racing goes into my personal life and makes me a better person. At first i thought she got it... but i was wrong.

I guess what i'm trying to say is this...

Make time for your family away from racing, set yourself some dates where you arent racing every weekend. That's what i did. I ran every other weekend from memorial day to labor day. Just enough to feed my habit. Include your kids because life's lessons can and will be learned wrenching on a race car, and let your fiance know that you do love her, but that racing gives you a connection to your father even with him being gone.

Man I didn't start till 38. My oldest 2 are grown, my youngest is 11 & she has no interest. With that being said my wife goes back & forth with my obsession. But it is my obsession. I remind my wife that we met at a race track. I don't feel guilty about what I spend cause no one goes without & I feel it's my time. I raised my kids & now I'm ready to have my fun. If it's your passion don't give it up. You will be miserable & resent that some one made you give up something you love. Find a way to balance it with family time. But your NEVER to old to do what you love & enjoy. I race & park beside Lake Sing a lot & he is a reminder that age is just a number & life only happens once! Enjoy it all you can cause you only got this one life to enjoy!

There was a time when the subject of how much cash and time I spent on my racing and how we might have to do without some things on the home front, after thinking on it for a while, I explained to her that I was racing before I met her, and if she wants to go, then I'll be racing something after she's gone, well, we will celebrate 47 yrs. together in Nov. of this yr., I'm still as involved as ever , but this time with others that I met here in Fl. We have been very fortunate.

There was a time when the subject of how much cash and time I spent on my racing and how we might have to do without some things on the home front, after thinking on it for a while, I explained to her that I was racing before I met her, and if she wants to go, then I'll be racing something after she's gone, well, we will celebrate 47 yrs. together in Nov. of this yr., I'm still as involved as ever , but this time with others that I met here in Fl. We have been very fortunate.

i tried that line yesterday on the phone while unbolting our motor from that car... needless to say it didnt go over very well lol but it's the truth!

My first kart race was 1962 . I had been married 2 years and had 2 kids . I raced 2 years but times was bad for me I had to give it up .Though I couldn't afford racing we my wife , 2 kids,and I went to the local speed way almost every weekend .8 years later we had 2 more kids. I had a better job and could afford to race motorcycles . Me and my oldest son raced flattrack . After 2 years I retired , I was now 35 and it really hurt when I fell down .My son became one of the best riders in district 15 AMA Racing . When he got 19 he joined the army . There I was with a garage full of motor cycles and no one to race them .We had a local back yard track that you could run anything . I bought a kart [peace of junk] it had a 3 1/2 hp briggs on it . The first race in what is now called run what you brung . I couldn't keep up on the pace lap. So the next week I had a 125 cc Yamaha . I started winning . nearly all was running Mac 100 cc engines .But we had all combos 2 8 HP BRIGGS DUAL Yamaha kart engines .One of my friends decided he would beat me he got a 101 Mac .He did beat me so the next week I had a 250 RMB Suzuki on my kart . We had many guys get 250 motorcycles engines ,but they couldn't beat me Since I'm an engine builder I always had the edge .We all moved to a race track where there wasn't many open karts . Every one got factory karts and most ran the stock class .So I got a stock Yamaha .By this time our youngest daughter was 11 our youngest son was 9 . I let my wife run a powder puff race and she won . So I got her a kart then I got karts for our youngest kids .I was still running 2 cycle and 3 briggs to take care of . It was just too much to do I didn't even enjoy it any more . So got to where Me and my wife ran the same kart one in the lite one in the heavy .Our oldest daughter was married ,oldest son In the army the rest of the family racing .I found that teaching the young ones and keeping the karts ready was a fulfilling as racing . I'd race every once in a while . But our family had a great time we all loved to race .THE TRACK CLOSED AND i SOLD EVERYTHING . in 1999 my youngest daughters son was 9 years old . We started racing , my grandson has won many track championships and is one of the best drivers in Indiana .My grandson and his mom still race she is 43 he is 24 . I now have 3 great grand sons . The oldest 2 ride a go kart in our yard their now 5 I guess I'll have to get them racing soon . But looking back the most fun we all had was when we was all racing . Every time we all get together all we talk about when we all raced .That is the way I balanced out family and racing .

Back