MyChron 3/4 on V8?

KCR14

I'm just curious if anyone has ever done this, and is it possible to do? I have seen some good deals and am interested in potentially using one in a stock car.

If it is possible, do you just need to buy the beacon for the lap timer to work at the track (obvioulsy stock car tracks won't have a permanent beacon installed)

Thanks.

I would prefer to stay with the AIM brand if it were possible, but have mechanical gauges ready to go. Just thought it would be a nice feature.

I know 600 microsprints use mychron 4s and they are 4 cylinder so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a v8

Any idea how they would be attaching the leads to the motor?

I think the only one you wouldnt be able to get to read on the MyChron would be OIL PSI, correct?

I'm curious as to how they're hooking them up for Water Temperature, and attaching the tach wire... are they wrapping a plug wire, or tapping into the distributor?

I would think if you wrapped around the #1 plug wire and stayed away from the others it would count RPMs just fine

Any suggestions on how to get water temperature? I know the lead they sell probably isnt going to reach, and probably isnt the correct pipe thread for the intake?

Thanks for the help so far.

I'd suggest against the water temp lead. That stupid "patch" cable system they have is garbage. Mine never reads correctly and where the "lead" plugs into the patch cable is the culprit. It always reads incorrectly after about the first 5-6 months of use. I've put the tach on a stocker with the head temp lead and it works just fine. So I know it's the water cable. If they for some reason sell a full length cable with no patch cable then it would be fine, I haven't found one yet. I need to call AIM, but I was more interested in going EGT this year, but that is a whole other problem for me.

I was just wondering if anyone has even done it, I'm not opposed to mechanical gauges but if something I had laying around was going to work, no sense in investing twice. If anyone has any suggestions or tips let me know. I'm still interested in this.

Local guy here done it on his 4 cylinder car, not sure if he's just using it for timing/rpm. But, I know he done it.

Could always call AIM tomorrow, but I'd just stick with the normal car guages, unless you just absolutely want the timing. Which of course for the karts is a big deal these days. And, if that's all you want, just mount the tach with the lap beacon on the side of the car and put your track beacon out. Again, you could always just hook the tach wire on the plug and you'll get the RPM too.

I was just wondering if anyone has even done it, I'm not opposed to mechanical gauges but if something I had laying around was going to work, no sense in investing twice. If anyone has any suggestions or tips let me know. I'm still interested in this.

I have a friend using a mychron 4 in his late model, with the rpm lead wrapped around one of the plug wires just behind the plug boot, CHT lead was bolted to the head using a bolt and fender washer, and the lap sensor is mounted on the roof of the car. He said he has his own beacon he sets up in the infield. He mostly uses it for lap times so he can pull up the graph and see where and how he needs to improve on the track to get faster.

I have a friend using a mychron 4 in his late model, with the rpm lead wrapped around one of the plug wires just behind the plug boot, CHT lead was bolted to the head using a bolt and fender washer, and the lap sensor is mounted on the roof of the car. He said he has his own beacon he sets up in the infield. He mostly uses it for lap times so he can pull up the graph and see where and how he needs to improve on the track to get faster.

X2 Mine is the same on my super latemodel, works great!!

Shouldn't be any problem...
If you have a mychron 4 get an ebox (preferably ebox extreme)
You can connect all you want.
Tps
Rpm
Wheel speed
Water temp
Egt
Oil pressure
Lap times
And a wideband o2

Lap timer, CHT, RPM. I also run standard gauges for backup...lol. I do know some guys that use them for oil psi and water temp, I would be glad to find out for you..

Back