Mychron 3 Temp help

Dirtkartin

Has anyone ever had problems with the temperature reading on a mychron 3? My last race it showed the motor temp peaked at 620 degrees. I would think that would have blown the engine. When sitting in the shop at room temperature, the tac reads 85 degrees. The thermostat says the shop is 75 degrees. We also put a lazer temp guage on the engine and it also said 75 degrees. I was wanting to get it figured out before I ran it again in case i needed to lean our the carb. Any thoughts?

I think we all have had similar problems at one time or another. Could be as simple as batteries, to sensor. Last problem I had ended up being the extension wire. Get with Mychron, their service is second to none!

Put the sensor in a pan of boiling water. If it doesn't read 212°, it's bad. It could be a little different, depending on your altitude, but not much, unless you live in Denver.

Yes I understand where a CHT sensor is generally located. I also have had a leaking exhaust gasket that is close to the plug that heated the CHT sensor. It didn't make the motor sound bad it just made the CHT show high temps when running.

Could be the connector on the gauge has a loose solder joint or broken pin. You can send it to us and we can get you fixed up right away. Try wiggling the temp connector where it screws into the gauge and see if your temp fluctuates and that would be a sign that the connector inside has an issue. We can also calibrate the gauge for you. Send it to the address below with a note about the problem and your contact info including phone.

AiM Sports SE
1636 B 9th Street SE
Roanoke, VA 24013-2700

Mike

Back