mychron choices

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
Budget is a factor, when buying a used mychron what do I really need...Mychron 3,4,5???
what are the odds someone has new last years model ???
What should I expect to pay??
2 good swap meets coming up and safety equipment is 1st on my list.. next it digital data I really should buy 2 because I have 2 karts... LO206 if it makes a difference..

Please point me in the right direction..

Thanks

I have only ever used a Mychron 4, they are very good. Used expect to pay about 200-250 I would think.
We had two of them at one time, sold one. Wish I had kept it. Now we swap the one we have between microstock, champ and flat kart..lol.Usually one race one or two at an event..all three a few times..

Average Mychron price;

Mychron 3 - $125-$150
Mychron 4 - $225-$250
Mychron 5 - $400-$500 (new price)

If it was me, I would stay away from the Mychron 3. AiM does not make components for these anymore, and havent for the last few years. Even if it needs a minor part, you could be SOL

I would go with the Mychron 4. Most parts still readily available, newer more reliable unit. Also, for the L0206, you really dont need the CHT lead, so you could save a few bucks if you find a unit that just has RPM and Lap Time. Even the RPM wire is just 18GA wire that you can get at any hardware store

Totally agree with JP and I have (2) 5's. Like he said you don't need a CHT for a lo206, heck we don't even use them on the clones.

Thanks!! this is exactly the info I was looking for..
I'm guessing CHT is cylinder head temp?

Average Mychron price;

Mychron 3 - $125-$150
Mychron 4 - $225-$250
Mychron 5 - $400-$500 (new price)

If it was me, I would stay away from the Mychron 3. AiM does not make components for these anymore, and havent for the last few years. Even if it needs a minor part, you could be SOL

I would go with the Mychron 4. Most parts still readily available, newer more reliable unit. Also, for the L0206, you really dont need the CHT lead, so you could save a few bucks if you find a unit that just has RPM and Lap Time. Even the RPM wire is just 18GA wire that you can get at any hardware store

Thanks!! this is exactly the info I was looking for..
I'm guessing CHT is cylinder head temp?

Correct. The CHT isnt nearly as accurate or crucial on the OHV motors as it is on the flatheads for example.

By all means, if you can find a clean, working Mychron 3 at a good price, then go for it...but you are rolling the dice on when it breaks. Remember, some of these Mychron 3's are 10-15 years old.

if you're comparing prices on used Mrchrons remember that (if you want one) the CHT and EGT leads are 40-45 bucks apiece and quite a few used ones don't have them.

Back