Need clutch help - Shriner parade kart

Tannerito

I had a new Shriner kart this summer and I have destroyed my 3rd clutch today. Engine is a 212 Predator with no modifications. 3/4 inch, #35 chain, 60t sprocket. I have been buying a cheap clutch off Amazon which I’m hoping is my problem. This last one made it twenty minutes.

Can someone please make a recommendation on a decent clutch that I don’t have to replace every parade? My last kart had a gx160 Honda (5.5hp) and the clutch on that setup lasted over five years.

I researched clutches and I became confused when it mentioned the stock engagement.

Thanks y’all.

Does your Predator still have the rev limiter installed? You may be burning up your clutch because the rpm of when your clutch begins slipping (i.e. engaging) could be very close to the rpm limit of your engine. This will not allow your clutch to fully lock up, it will just keep slipping. This will build up tremendous heat and thus destroy your clutch.

I would recommend removing the rev limiter or increasing the rpm limit of it to 5000rpm. Alernatively you can adjust the clutch to where it engages at a much lower rpm. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. A Max-Torque or Hilliard brand clutch is more than sufficient to handle the output of your engine.

Yes a shriner kart needs a low engagement.
Increasing the 60 tooth axle gear will help also.
Twenty minutes is entirely too short of lifespan.
Assuming the things burnt up and the gear is still intact?

Racing clutch is adjusted to engage above 3000 rpm , near Max rpm of a 212.
Most drum clutchs use some type of spring to adjust the speed of engagement.
Idle speed should be 6-800 rpm your engagement should be around 1000 rpm .
Do you know the approximate weight of your machine? With yourself in it?

There is a manual clutch available from 3D motorsports but the only drawback in your application is since it engages completely you would need to use a jackshaft to add gear ratio to keep from killing the engine at low speeds . 2nd drawback is the addition of a clutch cable and cost.

I don't know what your tire size is but a 60 tooth rear sprocket sounds too mall to me.
I have a customer that has 3 of these type of karts. I can ask him what gears and clutch he is using if you like.
I also have an 11 and a 12 tooth noram GE sprocket if you decide you want to go that route.
Jim
If you need to send me any pictures of your clutch or anything else of the vehicle.
920-207-9180 Text
fastermotors4@gmail.com

It does have the rev limiter installed, I will look into the videos and see if it’s something I can tackle.

Does your Predator still have the rev limiter installed? You may be burning up your clutch because the rpm of when your clutch begins slipping (i.e. engaging) could be very close to the rpm limit of your engine. This will not allow your clutch to fully lock up, it will just keep slipping. This will build up tremendous heat and thus destroy your clutch.

I would recommend removing the rev limiter or increasing the rpm limit of it to 5000rpm. Alernatively you can adjust the clutch to where it engages at a much lower rpm. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. A Max-Torque or Hilliard brand clutch is more than sufficient to handle the output of your engine.

It probably weighs around 150 lbs, and I’m 175lbs.

Racing clutch is adjusted to engage above 3000 rpm , near Max rpm of a 212.
Most drum clutchs use some type of spring to adjust the speed of engagement.
Idle speed should be 6-800 rpm your engagement should be around 1000 rpm .
Do you know the approximate weight of your machine? With yourself in it?

We run 4.10/3.50 x 6 tires. www.moolahyomo.com I drive the Jeep style not the 32 roadsters

I don't know what your tire size is but a 60 tooth rear sprocket sounds too mall to me.
I have a customer that has 3 of these type of karts. I can ask him what gears and clutch he is using if you like.
I also have an 11 and a 12 tooth noram GE sprocket if you decide you want to go that route.
Jim
If you need to send me any pictures of your clutch or anything else of the vehicle.
920-207-9180 Text
fastermotors4@gmail.com

I talked to my friend with the 3 Shriner karts and he tells me that they also run the 4.10 / 3.50 - 6 tires but they use a 72 tooth rear sprocket. He's going to count the teeth on his clutch later and get back to me with the number there also.

He is using a 12 tooth Max Torque fun kart clutch with a 4.10 / 3.50 - 6 tires and a 72 tooth rear sprocket.
Other clutches brands will work also.

I talked with my uncle, he said both his tractor and trailer shriner cars had belt drive.
He now has the Harley the minis got too hard for him to get in aND out of

Back