Need help with jones cutter

Guys bought a jones variable speed cutter for personal use to cut burris mainly. I have 55's down. I freeze the 33's and cut the right with about 15psi and left with 10psi. I run the spindle at 100 hertz per jones if I run the cutter head at 50 like jones said it leaves lines in the tires. If I slow it down to about 30 the it cuts smoother but it leaves little divits in the tires. In bother circumstances the the rubber does not stream off the machine it stays on the tire in like a circle then you have to kinda push it off the tires with something. I am using a larry jones square bit.

My question would anyone share some setting or possible have a video. Like I said just doing it for my self . Hate to ruin a ton of tires .

Last edited:
round bits worked good for me.
Rubber always seemed to wrap around tire.
Might try taking less off .
Brian Carlson has bits.

I'm generally in the shop late this time of year but I'm also covered up in work this time of year as well.
FWIW, I don't text and I don't even own a cell phone, so I can't help you that way...BUT, if you'd like to call during business hours (8-6est), I'd be glad to spend a few minutes with you discussing the problems you're having cutting 33s and how I cut mine.
If the rubber is wrapping around the tire as it is cut using a square bit, you might not have enough lead angle in the bit.
You will not have to freeze 33s with a good bit, (especially with higher psi.) We just happen to have that bit. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I've never used the square bits from Jones, but the trick speed style bits that Brain^ sells cut virtually any tire without freezing them, and are more forgiving than some of the sharper pointed bits that are on the market. As for the divets, that sounds to me as though you have too much air in the tire when you are cutting them and the rubber is deflecting when the cutter bit hits it. I too use the round bits when I can as they give the smoothest surface before grinding or sanding, but they dull much quicker than the trick speed bits especially on the softer Burris rubber.

I don't have the variable speed on my Jones machine, and do have to run the speed down to about 30-35 on the cutter head to get the tires as smooth as possible with the lines or grooves as tight as possible at times. From what has been said, I'd say you're trying to do too much too fast. The slower you operate the machine and the less rubber you try to remove at a time will be easier and the least likely way to ruin tires.

Hope that helps,

Cole Achey
Cole Achey Performance, LLC

That's our square bit.
It is the one that Trick Speed used to sell when they were in business.

765-339-4407
Credit and bank debit cards accepted.
We ship daily via FedEx with tracking and insurance.

You can't go wrong with Brian's bits as that's all we use and have used for several years now. The only tire the we have to freeze is the fresh 11's.
Tom Dawson
Transfer Tornado Cuts

Back