Need referral for Building a Honda 270

Need a referral for someone that can build a very competitive Honda 270 with open motor rule. Well versed in head building as well. Thanks.

Pm cubcadet70 on here, he should be able to help you. He probably knows more about the 270's than anyone on here.

Newbie question - who makes the best pulse fuel pump and does it matter?

who makes the best pulse fuel pump and does it matter? I am looking for every advantage I can find

Another Newbie question - building a head...how do you determine mill depth and valve combo

I know this is a very complicated question and probably cannot be answered with any accuracy based on so many variables being involved. I am trying to wrap my head around what size valves should be used on a Honda 270 head for a motor that will be used on a 1/4 mile concrete oval track. The class has an open motor rule and we use EES 390 carbs. Is a flow meter about the only way to find the answer to this question. Also how do you go about deciding how much to mill a head? Again, I know these are all the million dollar questions everyone has when building a motor. Due to how unique the 270 class is, getting motor setup info is really difficult.

Moving a seat up 1 1/2" - what are the ramifications?

As you have probably see I am grasping at straws in trying to get my kart as competitive as the rest of the pack. The engine factor is one aspect of the problem but the other is set-up. I am a short driver and we run a very heavy Birel N35 chassis. We run 5" Maxxis greens and blues - 210mm on the rears. When I first bought the chassis i moved the seat up appr 1 1/2 inches so I really do not have a benchmark to compare it to. Since day one I have been fighting a loose condition 9adjusting tire pressures, width of rear wheel spacing etc really hasnt showed me any meaningful changes. Granted I have not made any really agressive changes - for example bumping pressures up to 25lbs on right rear and 15 on left to help with stagger) but where the seat is located now feels very comfortable. I am wondering if moving the seat forwad that 1 1/2" could have really disrupted the handling of the kart. I know the only real way to find this out is if I move the seat back to its original position and try it out. Before I do so I was just curious what if any effects this could have caused and if its not worth looking into since it is really comfortable in this position. Let me know you thoughts.

Adjusting height of the motor and location of the motor - does it matter?

On our karts we have a number of washers between the motor mount and the engine block... maybe 3/4" of washers. Would decreasing the amount of washers thus lowering the motor maybe a quarter to half an inch make a difference?

As far as location of the motor - we have about 4" of play in the motor in terms of sliding it back and forth along the frame rails. Is it more advantageous to have the mot closer to the seat or closer to the axle?

I can't imagine why you'd have any washers between the motor mount and block. One between the block and the nut is all I can think of. Lowering the engine down will help out your roll center. Not a huge amount, but every little bit helps. I guess it depends on the setup of your engine and motor mount.

For the positioning, it depends on how long your chain is, how much play you like in your chain and only the very slightest bit to do with the scales. If you use the same length chain all the time and increase the rear gear, you'll end up moving the engine back by default (to keep your chain play). You don't want too long of a chain, you don't want too short of a chain...so the positioning doesn't really matter as it will be adjusted with gearing changes IMO.

fast isn't comfortable most the time...lol u need to check with the manufacturer and find out what the weight percentages need to be at ,, and get it on some scales,

Second heaviest thing on the kart after the driver is the engine usually. Why would it not matter where it was positioned if the weight percentages are so important?
That goes for forward or back, left or right, and up and down!!!

Back