Need to get to know lo206 more

Formosa kid

Hello Fellas. Im pretty new to karting(just started last week). I have whole bunch of question and I did my research on the web and still am quite confused so see if anyone can help and guide me. Bare with me if my questions sound dumb to you.

1. My kart would stumble while cornering. I assume its the float. I have zero to little mechanic skill so am struggling on whether if I should adjust it myself or not. Ive watched briggs video and looked up some post already. What I cant figure out is what float level should I set to? I see people talking about float height, float drop, Idle air bleed screw, C- clip needle setting. Should I be messing with those too when I adjust the float?

2. My kart hit the rev limiter at a straight line. Im not sure if its normal or not. I know lo206 has a rev limiter at 6100rpm(correct me if im wrong) but mine dont feel like 6100rpm when it hits the limiter. I hear people talking about change a different coil but I dont know.

3.How often should I change the oil and how much oil I need? 15 ounce? Anyone know where to buy the magnetic drain plug?

Thats all the question I have. Please help me.:confused:

1. I will let the experts answer that stuff. I never touch mine.
2. Do you have a tach? If not, you will never know.
3. Everyone will debate this, but you can never change it too much. Once per day, minimum. I typically use 16 ounces because it is an even split to get two per quart bottle. Buy the magnetic drain plug from any Briggs and Stratton Dealer or Kart engine builder. I strongly suggest Jimbo (fastermotors.net) or Brian Carlson. Both of them are very active on here and will probably respond on this thread :)

What color is the coil? Follow the spark plug wire into the pull cord housing you should be able to see the colored housing on the coil.

if you are running in the LO206 class, you can not change the coil. It is a tech item. If you need a tach, get one of those cheap ones off ebay for $50. It will record your highest rpm in recall. You need to make sure you have it geared so that the rpms are where you want. Should be hitting the limiter at the end of a straight. The smaller the gear on the axle, the longer it will take to hit red line. Opposite is true with the front sprocket. I tooth added to the front is like taking 4 teeth off the axle. Generally change the oil after each race day. 13-15 oz is good. Carb float works like the float in a toilet tank. Hold carb upside down and measure the height from the lip where the float bowl goes on. The float should drop down towards the carb and the distance from the lip to the bottom (will be on top when upside down) should measure around 0.875" or so. This is not the exact number but close. Can't rememver off the top of my head. With the "C" clip, start it in the middle slot. If you want it to run a little richer, drop the clip down on the needle and vice versa to make it leaner. Idle air screw should be turned all the way in and back it around 1.5-2 turns and then adjust the idle screw to get it to idle around 1800 rpm cold. Hope this helps.

Stumbling in the corner is typically the float height not being set correctly. Raise it to allow more fuel in the bowl.
Turn the carb upside down and carefully bend the tab that holds the inlet needle by inserting and twisting a small bladed screwdriver. Measure from the highest part of the floats (both sides even) to the gasket surface. Set at .875" will be fine to start.
As far as moving the clip on the needle, moving it down (toward the tip) richens the mixture. Start in the middle and work up or down from there as needed. If the engine has any hesitation at all from an idle to wide open throttle, move the e-clip down on the needle until the stumble goes away.

As far as rpm -- you really need a tach. If you have the same size tires, same weight, same gearing, etc as another competitor, you "might" be able to tell within a few hundred rpm what your engine is turning. Obviously a trained ear (engine tuner) can tell pretty closely as well. If you have the wrong color coil - simply change it to the green 6100 rpm PVL coil for the LO206 class.

I suggest 14 ounces of oil. 16 ounces would be just fine to use also. Occasionally you might see some excess oil pushed out on high g corners when using 16 ounces, but I've never seen that be a problem. My recommendation is the Briggs 4T oil, but other brands will work well also. Just be sure that it is a heavier weight oil (especially when comparing to other popular karting oils.)

Yes, we sell magnetic drain plugs and offer them in every LO206 that we sell. Install only one in the side that you drain the oil from.
Our magnetic drain plugs are made from the original B&S drain plug with the addition of a rare earth magnet. They are not the B&S part number magnetic drain plug, although many 206 dealers do stock our drain plugs.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I just had one that started life as a LO 206 Junior (kid kart Motor) The customer complained that it didn't have any power with a green slide. The Kid Kart coil (4100 rpm) never got changed to the green coil (6100 rpm)

Thanks everyone for replying my question. Im going to have couple friends help me with the carburetor float height and install a tach on the kart. Any suggestion on which tachometer is good?

Mychron 4's are cheap (relatively) between $200 and $250 used. You do not need a temp lead so if one doesn't have one don't let that steer you away. Did you check the color of your coil? As stated 6100 should be green in color.

A simple Mychron 3 tach would be just fine for you, can find them alot cheaper than the Mychron 4 usually, $100-150 for a good one with all leads

Back