New 5507 pipe ?

Kj26

When did they change the bracket ? Also no stamp on it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 137
Looks the same as the one I just got from RLV (February-ish). I'm not sure when they changed, but that's the "new one". From what I can tell, same exact pipe with different brace on it.

Old brace looked alot better....maybe they didnt have enough broken pipes so they had to make the brace wimpy?

The old brace would break where it attached to the head so they welded another piece over the existing brace. Still had problems.
This new brace is much thicker than the old brace. It just connects to the pipe in one spot rather over a larger area like the old brace.
The old brace didn't work real well. Hopefully this one will work better.

The Pipe was in production in early to mid December I believe. I had picked up a couple of these at Daytona. This new support is a bit heavier than the older one that kept cracking at the mount bolt area.

No problems with this pipe yet. Also make it easier to do a quality header wrap job on the pipe and not have that big flat area from the welded support to deal with.

I have also heard that the new #5507 pipe will allow you to use a 5 degree motor mount without it hitting the sprocket guard, unlike the first design.

Steve

is this the pipe that exits down behind the seat because thats the one that i cant get to fit on my kart. always hits the chain guard. I think the one i use on my 206 is the 5506

is this the pipe that exits down behind the seat because thats the one that i cant get to fit on my kart. always hits the chain guard. I think the one i use on my 206 is the 5506

Yes, that was the problem with the older #5507 pipe, it hit the chain guard and the new one will not.

Steve

I just put one on an engine with a 15 degree motor mount and measured the distance from the pipe to the sprocket. I then put the standard 5507 pipe on and measured it.
The distance is the same for each pipe.
In other words if you have a 5 degree motor mount and the 5507 hit your sprocket guard the 5511 will also hit.
The simple solution would be to change the final bend location to raise the pipe off the sprocket.
The problem is then we have yet another pipe choice and a rule change.
Rule changes are not something that many of us are in favor of!

I'll be more than happy to work with you guys and make something that works. I'm sure I can make something like those but fit better. Same length and size.

OOPS
Correction
My testing this morning was with an early version of the 5511 pipe.
I just tested with a new version of the 5507. The current pipe has an additional 3 inches of clearance above the rear sprocket.
The 5507 and the 5511 are the same pipe except that the 5511 extends into the cylinder head.
The current pipe will now clear the rear sprocket when using motor mounts of less than 15 degrees.

The 5507 and the 5511 are the same pipe except that the 5511 extends into the cylinder head.

This is exactly what I've seen.

For what it's worth, the new brace is a very welcome change for me. Stronger yet less rigid (bend to fit precisely) and much easier to wrap!

Levi,
It would be great to be able to use your pipes as well, (we use them on all of our animal engines,) but currently RLV makes the spec pipes for these engines.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back