New chassis vs Used

lets take for instance a 5 year old jr champ kart and a brand new with identical set up numbers and tires same day same track. is the newer kart going to be faster to the point the used wont fo the job. used kart is in like new condition. question is when is it time to get a brand new chassis. comparing my trick monster bad boy to the new trick lto jr sportsman champ.

Also look at $$$. The money you can save buying used compared to new can actually get you an advantage over new. For example, take the money you saved and upgrade to ceramic bearings...maybe upgrade from a Saturday motor package to an Elite or Champion motor package...maybe get an extra set or 2 of tires to help throughout the night when conditions change...get a better rolling chain...free floating hubs...upgrade to that better clutch...so on an so on. Look at upgrading safety as well! Better helmet, better racing suit, better neck bracing system. I'd be more worried about the guy that shows up with a used chassis that has money invested in it to make it super slick over the new chassis showing up with basic setup components.
I've seen guys spin axels that just don't ever stop because they took the time to invest in good quality parts with the money they saved buying used chassis.......rumor has it those karts are sitting in a barn somewhere collecting dust but the axels are still spinning to this very day :ROFLMAO:

Also look at $$$. The money you can save buying used compared to new can actually get you an advantage over new. For example, take the money you saved and upgrade to ceramic bearings...maybe upgrade from a Saturday motor package to an Elite or Champion motor package...maybe get an extra set or 2 of tires to help throughout the night when conditions change...get a better rolling chain...free floating hubs...upgrade to that better clutch...so on an so on. Look at upgrading safety as well! Better helmet, better racing suit, better neck bracing system. I'd be more worried about the guy that shows up with a used chassis that has money invested in it to make it super slick over the new chassis showing up with basic setup components.
I've seen guys spin axels that just don't ever stop because they took the time to invest in good quality parts with the money they saved buying used chassis.......rumor has it those karts are sitting in a barn somewhere collecting dust but the axels are still spinning to this very day :ROFLMAO:
Spinning on a kart stand means nothing.
In fact it's showing there is minimal protection for a bearing when under load

You also have to look at eventually you will graduate out of that Jr sportsman. I have a early 2000s Jr sportsman sitting here that my son will graduate out of within the next year or so. I have invested in the better parts and we are always top 3 on Saturday night. Soon he will be driving my flat kart and the Jr sportsman will go up for sale to invest in better parts engines ect. Keep what you have is my opinion

Swing and a miss.
The POINT I'm trying to make is that if you save money by getting something used you can upgrade that kart with better parts.
You didn't make a statement about how long an axle spins freely?
What does that have to do with saving money?
Swing and a miss

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways lol

Unklslam...don't turn away from the idea of getting used. And depending on where you are and what tracks you're racing you could even go older than what you're asking about. At the same time buying new gives you the insurance that it's a nice, clean, straight chassis with no history to it besides what you make of it.
Good luck with it! Also, if you find something you can post pictures and there's a ton of people on here that can help identify or even suggest things to change that'll make it better for you!!

I have seen a bunch of people using ceramic bearings they never maintain properly after racing. They would be faster on normal bearings if they would clean and keep them properly.

Here is my answer. Use a kart that you know how to tune. Some like large adjustments to take an effect, some take tiny adjustments. If you buy new every 2 years like some, you spend more time learning how to tune it rather thatn tuning it correctly based on your experience with it. If a kart is frustrating you to a point that you dont like it, that could be possibly turned around with tech support or someone that had one and would share a secret with you. If that never happens, do lots of talking and asking to make sure you get the right thing

As stated above, will a newer kart get you those 2 tenths because its new?? No. You might loose 4 tenths.

Back when I raced, there was this father son combo that bought every 2 or 3 years. They never could figure out how I outran them so much with a 10 year old chassis.

So Im putting my ole kart back together...its a 1999 and I know how it likes to be tuned and I know how to run fast with it.

Back