New here..trying to find info on kart engine

Hey guys, I recently picked up a kart for my almost 9 year old to start out on but am trying to find out more details about the engine that's on it. It has a Craftsman 5hp shroud on it with a Kick'n by KCP sticker on it and on the block it is engraved Kick N by KCP "Guinea Pig". Just trying to see if this was a one off build or more details about it. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me on it.

is the carb on the right or left of the exhaust ?
is it a flathead? fins on top.
is it an actual racing kart or a farm store type?
is the engine mounted behind the seat?

Looking at it from the back of the kart the exhaust is on the left of the carb. Itst a flat top om a Margay chassis with the engine to the back side over your right shoulder when sitting.

20150105_184217.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey guys, I recently picked up a kart for my almost 9 year old to start out on but am trying to find out more details about the engine that's on it. It has a Craftsman 5hp shroud on it with a Kick'n by KCP sticker on it and on the block it is engraved Kick N by KCP "Guinea Pig". Just trying to see if this was a one off build or more details about it. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me on it.

did this kart come from the Metro St.Louis/Illinois area ?

looks like a really complete kart , change oil , plug , clean air filter inspect chain or replace , check brakes bleed if nescessary add some fuel give it a rip and try it out !! have some fun grab a helmet

You're asking a difficult question. Some of the early margay chassis are collectible to collectors. I'm not sure if that one is or not. If not the chassis might be worth $100. The engine is really hard to determine due to the fact that there aren't many Briggs & Stratton classes left anymore to race it and those engines are expensive to rebuild and not knowing what the internals of your engine are like is difficult to give you a price on that. Shooting from the hip I say $100 on the engine . I'm going to say if you bought that package turnkey meaning that it started up and run with good rubber $500 would be a good investment to get started in karting

Get your self a stock clone kit (don't need any race parts or cam to start with). Ditch the flat head, way less trouble to keep it running, more fun to start to drive with. Clean up the clutch, new chain check the brakes, replace if needed. Add a gas tank. Lots of fun.

Pedal set-up is for a jr. driver, you will prolly need to move pedals back to their orig. location up by the front bumper. good kart for getting started, seat time is always needed.

Back