New member with questions

danford1

Hi, I'm new here. I have a question.
I have searched the internet for it and when I find a forum that has the question, no one every answers it. They always skirt around the answer.

Question. If you take a stock LO206 and only change the coil to the blue coil,
How much will that change the hp output?
What rpm will the unlimited 206 now turn?

Thanks
Danford1

Oh boy here we go!
The blue coil is the animal coil and should have no rpm limit.
Horsepower gain 1 maybe 2 up.

The blue coil won't change the HP at all. The LO 206 makes max HP below the 6100 rpm maximum.
What a blue coil will allow you to do is turn it more RPMs.
The valve springs and cam will limit the rpms (at least where you want to make power)
After that the size of the carb will be the next thing limiting power.
Keep in mind that the rod is not designed for more Horsepower.
If you want something more than the LO206 has to offer i would suggest doing more than just changing the coil.
However, it won't be a LO 206 any more!!!
Here ya go:
http://www.fastermotors.net/206mod.html

Back in 1963, I was drag racing with my friend and his 57 Corvette. Roller cam, twin crossed over four barrels, 5.13 to 1 and a four speed.

It was a Mother's Day Sunday and the track was having a play day. We went to the track with four ignitions. Stock single point, the new electronic Chevy ignition, a newly rebuilt Vertex magneto, and, as an afterthought, the dual point ignition out of an old 265 block over in the corner of the shop. Not even rebuilt. After multiple runs, with the hot ignitions, we found very very little difference, and as an afterthought, at the end of the day, we tried the old dual point ignition. It was the fastest of the day. Too many variables to make any conclusions, but the old dual point was faster, for whatever reason. The dwell time is longer on dual points.

^ Yup, I'll go along with Jimbo. Peak CHP will not change one bit.
Actually, the animal coil DOES have a rev limiter -- 12,000 rpm. Then again, if you can hit that rev limiter with an animal, you wouldn't be asking the question. ;) It will turn about 7500 by just changing the coil (nothing else, no cam, no springs, etc.) Keep in mind, the rod won't live long turning higher rpms.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^ Yup, I'll go along with Jimbo. Peak CHP will not change one bit.
Actually, the animal coil DOES have a rev limiter -- 12,000 rpm. Then again, if you can hit that rev limiter with an animal, you wouldn't be asking the question. ;) It will turn about 7500 by just changing the coil (nothing else, no cam, no springs, etc.) Keep in mind, the rod won't live long turning higher rpms.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. 6100 to 7500 rpm.
Hp as most of you know isn't something tha is measured directly, it is calculated.
It is tq X rpm/5252. I understand the torque will be falling off but even at 7500 rpm there is torque present. Can anyone tell us how much tq it will be making at 7500 rpm? Then we can calculate the hp.

Danford1

Ok. Now we are getting somewhere. 6100 to 7500 rpm.
Hp as most of you know isn't something tha is measured directly, it is calculated.
It is tq X rpm/5252. I understand the torque will be falling off but even at 7500 rpm there is torque present. Can anyone tell us how much tq it will be making at 7500 rpm? Then we can calculate the hp.

Danford1

Honestly, I have not measured a stock animal's torque (or HP) at that rpm since it has fallen off so badly by that point that you would never want to race it at that rpm without first changing the cam (or something else) to move the powerband up considerably.

Even most WKA BP'd animals fall off before then. If you look at the total power (area) under the curve, you're not likely to want to turn any more than 7200 on most oval tracks with a WKA animal. You're considering taking a 206 and turning it that hard will not end well (on the track or off,) I can guarantee you that much.

Now its my turn to agree with Brian.
The exception being that on some sprint tracks with a tight slow infield with a long straight you will often times find that you need to turn a blueprinted Animal over 8000 to come off the tight corners with out bogging the motor down excessively. And yes the motor is not making much power at 8000 rpm. If you don't have a billet rod and good valve springs it won't last very long.

Consider this;
7000 RPM @ 4.0-1, 34 inch tires = 56.34 miles per hour (calculated of course)
add one tooth to the axle;
7122 rpm @ 4.07-1, 34 inch tires = 56.34 miles per hour (again, calculated)
if you don't pick up 122 RPM, you're going slower on the top. Now you have to make a decision, can you give up the speed for a little more off the corner?

At 7500 RPM, add one tooth and you need 131 RPM increase to go the same speed.

Tuning is tough (Al Nunley)

Curious if valves will float on a 206 at 7200. Measured spring pressure at installed & max lift are close to dual springs pressures on a clone. Clone springs will run a 206 to 6100. Haven't tried 7200 , just curious.

Thanks guys. You answered that very well. Now let's go on to some more questions.

First off. I bought a minibike with an Animal on it with a blue coil. How do I find out exactly what I have? Is there a serial number somewhere, if yes, where?
Oh, I'm not a racer nor do I plan to race. I'm an old fart that likes minibikes. I also like acceleration and some speed, hence buying the bike with an Animal on it. I looked and it Does say Animal on the head.
If I pull the side cover off (it isn't sealed) will there be numbers on the cam that will tell me if it is stock or not?
Are there numbers on the rod that will tell me if it is stock or not?
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

Danford1

Possibly but not likely.
Rod will be obvious if billet. arc rods are common and well labeled
Briggs logo again obvious.

Billet rods will be shiney while die cast rods will have a dull finish similar to the exterior of the block.
Rod_Comparison-600x450.jpg

OOPs
Both of these are billet rods.
ARC on the top and Briggs on the bottom.

Back