new need lots of imput

robb83

Hello im new to karting im getting a complete setup 3 karts total i mainly plan on racing indoors and then if i like it going to race outdoors next year the karts all have flate heads what can i do to get even with the animal motors were running a 360 class with wka rules..not sure what is legal for the flat heads..the karts im getting is a 04 buller velocity 06 prowler and 01 buller i do belive the prowler has a dover racing motor he said that this kart is the fastes and most built of the three

If you are just starting out in karting.. you will need to get plenty of seat time before you get competitive. The fastest motor on the track won't do anything unless the kart and driver are in the same boat. On dirt the tire prep is important. Racing in doors or out doors doesn't change the level of competition. If you have never raced you will still be scratching your head. It is not as easy as it looks... even if you have races cars... or some other form or motor sports.

Watch what others are doing.. and then make your own judgments.. What works on kart number 56 probably wont' work on kart 37.. just a figure of speech... DO YOUR thing and be consistent with what you do.

You would be better off to use the flatheads to get some seat time and get a feel for racing karts, then when you get the hang of it, start finding ways to get more speed or even up the competition. You being a beginner against a field of experienced drivers, you likely won't be winning any races or running up front for awhile, try to find someone who does run up front and wins races and learn everything you can from them, offer to help them in the pits for a couple races before racing your own karts. Main things to focus on these days is chassis setup, tires and tire prep, and driving, the engine is the last part of the puzzle after you have everything else down.

Ive helped a buddy for a few indoor racing im more of a hands on driver learner he did all the work i just watched i know i wont be up front and im ok with that but im just trying to find a good set up to start with and go from there...

Jump on the Buller with the flathead, and get in contact with Randy Major on facebook, and pick his brain on setup info

I would be on the prowler if given the choice out of the 3 karts, newest equipment is always a better start, and usually easier to learn with, fewer problems, more help available

go to the track/s you wanna run at and see what classes are available and then walk around and ask lots of questions, don't concern yourself with trying to be fast, or competetive to begin with it will take alot of seat time

And if you want to race with an animal, I have for sale at a great price. $500. All these guys are correct, seat time is critical and focus on setup to get your kart free. Then tires will become the most critical piece if you want to become competitive in big races.

You wrote:

"Hello im new to karting im getting a complete setup 3 karts total i mainly plan on racing indoors"

You ought to be very careful with the deal. I don't know you and I don't know the seller.

The first thing which came to my mind reading your post is your probably not getting anything but the short end of the deal.

If you got a ton of money or come from a wealthy family and the money your paying is not a problem or any big amount to you, then what the hey do what you want. but, buyer beware.

Here's a little racing secret. There ain't a racer out there what didn't pay way more then they should have for the first stuff they bought. ... just what came to mind reading your post.

... hey I have this Toll Bridge up the top of Michigan, my family has owned it for years and were looking for investors.

I agree with paul post...and you will learn in time,, horsepower don't mean crap if it don't get through the corners,,, 85% tires and setup,, 15% motor

You wrote:

"Hello im new to karting im getting a complete setup 3 karts total i mainly plan on racing indoors"

You ought to be very careful with the deal. I don't know you and I don't know the seller.

The first thing which came to my mind reading your post is your probably not getting anything but the short end of the deal.

If you got a ton of money or come from a wealthy family and the money your paying is not a problem or any big amount to you, then what the hey do what you want. but, buyer beware.

Here's a little racing secret. There ain't a racer out there what didn't pay way more then they should have for the first stuff they bought. ... just what came to mind reading your post.

... hey I have this Toll Bridge up the top of Michigan, my family has owned it for years and were looking for investors.

If a guy has truly good stuff, he uses it himself, or sells it to buyers he races with, who KNOW the stuff is good.
Buying out an entire program of several karts, is the very worst start off a karter can have.
Buy ONE known winning kart, and engine, from a winner you have personally seen run well, or a very high integrity, skilled
racer well known in the karting world.
This type stuff will not come cheap. Multiple karts WILL come cheap, cause they are almost certainly 3rd rate.

Too the original question a legal flathead won't touch a legal animal.
you will need a ltd mod or stock appering/ open flathead.
as stated track time is a big key.
Indoor as in coke syrup or indoor dirt. Big difference.

Back