new tires

slack56

a new tire would still be considered a new tire correct? or do these tires (pertaining mainly to the burris ss33a) have some sort of shelf life? any help is greatly appreciated thanks. Jayson

The longer they sit around, the more natural oils the tires lose....some guys will buy up new ones and either just sit them somewhere to "cure up" or scuff them then set them somewhere to "cure". As the tire loses the natural oils, it hardens up. Once they are ready to use it they will start the prep work, usually with internal prep first to get the duro you want, condition the tire to put the chemicals they want into the tire to make it do what you want it to do. I like to scuff then set them somewhere cool and dark for at least 6-8 months then take them and roll internally, and once duro is where I want I use Track Tac tire tuff mint externally to condition them, add bite, and once the Mint cures the tire will remain close to the same duro you prepped it down to, no matter how aggressive of a prep you use or what you use on it. Thats one thing I love about the Mint. It strengthens the rubber also, makes it more durable. I hate when I have to use aggressive prep on tires and the duro drops so much they can't be ran anymore for awhile, so the Mint definitely helps keep that from happening. I let the tires cure for a month after using the Mint.

i have a pretty decent tire program going now thanks to Edge Cutz by Todd Wills... but i was just curious if it was a bad thing to leave new tires sit without prep in them or not. my usual trackside prep consists of 60% fts green 20% fts black 10% goat and 10% acrysol. monday rolls around and they get surfaced acrysoled and cleaned and get two light coats of green fts. i dont prep my burris internally. i have thought about trying out the mint. was looking at the tire tuff but wasnt sure how to use it as well as the mint. the mixture i have above worked really well on hard dusty tracks without killing my tires. (unless i got a little frisky and put more black in) try to keep the duro no less than 52. i have a set at 60 a set at 58 and a set at 54 right now. i will probably run them through the indoor season and sell them. i just picked up my first set of vegas so its gonna be a learning experience as well. this tire game is fun to learn.

I use the original tire tuff internally on Burris, and the mint externally only. Not sure if the mint can be rolled internally or not, but I know the original can be wiped if you choose to. I only use 2 preps internally on Burris, tire tuff original in the warmer months and Palmetto original inside for colder weather racing. I use several preps from different manufacturers, to get what I want out of my tires. My tire program consist of tire tuff original, mint, palmetto original inside, palmetto medium, palmetto trackside fire, pink magic, goat, venom black, venom soak, venom blue, and Liquid Speed LS2. With those preps, I can have tires ready for any condition or any track I want to go to, can mix some of them if needed or whatever I need to do. I wouldn't reccomend anyone who is new to the tire game to try working with that many different preps though, it can be confusing and frustrating to figure out if you don't know what each prep does and what its best for, when to use it and how much to use.

Venom Blue works really well for that kind of conditions, especially when mixed with venom black. For dry slick, I start with the blue and slowly add black to the mix as the track gets harder. Usually end up around 50/50 mix

I used venom juice religiously through indoor had decent luck. But couldn't keep from locking the kart down. Even on a set of 33s that were in the area of about 55 If I remember. Which that was last year. I'm still learning all this fancy technical tire game. With certain preps reacting certain ways.

Which indoor track did you try the venom juice that locked you down & which one of their product did you use.

The soak can lock you down quick if used during wrong conditions, have been there and done that. Have never been locked down on any other venom product though. Only happened with soak when I torched a coat of soak/creo mix that someone had given me to try

Never torch the soak unless you are running on a very low bite or sloppy wet track. Soak and pink are made for completely different conditions, soak for low bite and pink for higher bite. The green is mainly an internal prep but can be wiped to fire off the tire. If you want something you can work with for low-medium bite tracks that wont lock you down, use the Blue. It works best when there is moisture present, and can be mixed with black with good results. What I like to do is keep a few mixes of blue and black for certain conditions. Start with just blue for low bite, torch it in if you need to the hit it with a coat of soak before going out but don't torch the soak. As the track picks up or gains bite, start adding black to the blue. The blue is great to use during the week for medium bite tracks, then later in the week wipe with blue/black 50/50. At the track adjust the mix according to conditions. Kevin Bishop himself reccomended the blue/black mix to me, especially for Burris tires. Black and soak mix works great for dry, dusty or dry slick conditions when you need alot of bite out of the tires. The black works best when it is applied with heat, like if you lightly torch the tires before wiping it or put the tires in a hotbox and let them roll with heat in the black for 5-10 mins, depending on how much bite you need. I usually just torch the tires lightly before wiping the black, I do it one tire at a time by torching the tire, wipe it then move on to the next one quickly. Send me a message if you need any help with the venom, it is about all I have used lately and most of the year and all I will be using for 2015 also.

I usually run hard dry slick surfaces.

Black cut 50/50 with Acrysol, or a 1/3 parts mixture of Blue/Black/Acrysol
Prep early in the week for 2 days with a mixture of red cut 60/40 with acrysol about 8 coats total, allow each coat to dry, and use it very lightly

I switched. I'm now using fts. But in not sure if I'm gonna do that tire tuff stuff and how well it will perform with fts

Fts makes a great inside prep just for Burris, if you want to stick with that line of prep. Try to stick with one prep line and learn it, you'll get better results and less frustration trying to learn it

when torching tire,warm the tire with the torch then apply the prep,do not burn the prep into the tire,vapors can be harmful from any prep not to mention the prep being flammable.

them flames get huge though lol. Yeah I try not to breath any of it in. I've torched the tires both ways however

Set your air pressure before torching the tire or before heating it, otherwise you'll go on the track with less air than you wanted to be on, if not on flat tires. I used to do it by heating them and prepping, then set air before going out, but learned the hard way that it does not work like that lol. I prefer to burn the prep into the tire, however.

I try to prep and get everything ready as soon as I come off and I set my pressure when we set it on the ground in the grid

Back