New to Karting. What to buy first?

JaveStack

Hey there everybody, I just decided to get into karting to run around the track with some friends.

I got into a 1993 Margay Puma FC with two Kohler XKE engines for $400 that had been used for oval racing. I have completely disassembled, repaired, repainted, and reassembled the kart from the frame up, and gotten the wheels paired for track use (11-5-6 front and 11x7.10-6 rear) as opposed to left right as they were for dirt. Tires are Burris ss11 (too soft) and ss55 (okay for asphalt I was told), so I need to replace the ss11 rears with something like 55's I guess...

I work for a small engine manufacturer, so building the XKE and getting parts for it will not be hard, I plan to build a CH270 once I have the cash for the hop up parts.

I still need to do some fiberglass repair on the seat and paint eh the body panels, but other than that the kart is completely restored and ready to run.

I have a helmet I use for tracking my motorcycle and a neck brace...

If there was one thing that a new, non competition amateur karter should invest in, what would you say it should be? A performance clutch? Better tires? Newer seat?

Nice to meet you and Thanks for the input.

-Javes

I live Southeastern WI area. Plan to run on the Road America Motorplex.

Welcome to Karting! I'm also in S.E. Wisconsin and am very familiar with the program at Road America Motoplex. I am sure we can get you ready to go with all the information you need and can handle! Feel free to PM me, email or call. I am best available days here at the shop. (262) 457-5018

-Jeff

Back