New to karting

Plaintoast

Hello all,
Seems to be lots of good information here, but I'm looking for a little more maybe someone can help.
A couple of my boys 12&15 are interested in getting started racing. We found a small local dirt track running a class that the one kart we have fits into, they go by ikf rules and its junior 2 class. I can't find rules anywhere or much help from the track. Anyone have a copy of those rules somewhere?
A little background:
I own a performance engine machine shop, I've been machining and building motors for 20+ years, but not these. I mostly do dirt circle track stock car/sprint car type of stuff, where is also where my driving experience lies. So that said, I have full access to whatever equipment I want to use and a good bit of knowledge on how to do it, I just don't know what I am allowed to do.
We'll be running the predator engines, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Anyone?
I didn't mean to come off sounding like a know it all if I did, I know dirt cars, but this is a whole new ball game for me and I don't want the kids to go to a gun fight with a knife if ya know what I mean. But my shop has also always been held in good regard as far as building legal power, so I want to stay on that side of the fence.

Its not that nobody wants to help, but very few know anything about the rules you are talking about....best bet is to ask the track owner for copy of the rules

I didn't know that IKF had a class for Predator engines. Their jr 2 class is the 196 clone, I do believe.
You really need to contact the track for a set of rules and build the engine to meet their rules.
Right now there are so many different rule sets (and just about as many sanctioning bodies) to follow that it'll make your head spin.
Purchase an IKF tech manual if you intend to build engines to meet their rules. You can also contact IKF reps personally and gain some insight as to what can (and cannot) be done to these little engines. If you've got a big car (automotive) background, you'll quickly become frustrated with all the rules that kart engines have to follow. ;)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

A couple of my boys 12&15 are interested in getting started racing. We found a small local dirt track running a class that the one kart we have fits into, they go by ikf rules and its junior 2 class. I can't find rules anywhere or much help from the track. Anyone have a copy of those rules somewhere?
Thanks.
IKF publishes their rules in their magazine once a year. If you join IKF it includes a subscription for one year to their magazine and the one in which they last published the rules. At least that's the way they use to do it.

Thanks everyone.
The track doesn't have published rules, it just says they go by ikf rules, and I just got a message now saying the same as above, to join ikf so I can get the rules.

Thanks everyone.
The track doesn't have published rules, it just says they go by ikf rules, and I just got a message now saying the same as above, to join ikf so I can get the rules.
you have to understand that the rulebook and the magazine are IKF's main source of income. If they just gave away the rules, which are copyrighted by the way, they would lose a big portion of their income and their control of the rules process.

I understand that, and that's fine. To me it just seems odd, my background everyone published rules on their website, or the sanctioning bodies (imca, Wissota, umss, usmts) all make them public knowledge. Again, not a big deal to join, I just found it odd that I couldn't find them.
I did get the OK from the track on running the predator with the other clones, so we'll see what we can do at the next race in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone.
I don't indicate what part of the country your in, however....my advice is too be very cauious when getting into Karting! Especially when you have been involved w/ other forms of racing!! IKF (International Kart Federation) is the 'founding father' (ie: Go Kart Club of America) but has little following anymore and Does Not have a Predator Class!! Beware of what you're getting yourself into. Your knowledge might be better placed in a RWYB situation is an option if the track of which you speak has such a class. It would be a good way too 'Learn', but it is a Class that could get very expensive also.

Well I got my ikf card and rulebook, now I guess I need to pull the head and at least do a little work on that, everything else I've done to this point is fine.
Now I just need to learn more about setting these things up, oh and tire prep, that's all new, I'm used to spec tires, untreated, some classes couldn't even groove and sipe tires.

Back