New to the forums and karting

Trap_Star

So I recently picked up my first shifter kart through a trade. Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and create a space for me to ask questions and what not. I'll do my best to provide pictures of specific things I'm unsure about or would like more info about.

The Kart: 2007 Invader Chassis, Honda CR125 (unsure what year), Swedetech straight intake, Keihin PWM 38mm carb, RLV exhaust and silencer, Swedetech clutch cable.

If you notice something thats setup incorrectly or that I haven't identified please let me know. Also, if you know of asphalt tracks in north GA, west Carolina, east TN, or central FL that run Honda 125 classes I'd really appreciate a heads up on where to go.

20180621_003924_zpsqwxaeb0e.jpg

Fluids and stuff. Its 110 which I will blend with ethanol free 93 to get towards 98. Not ideal but its what I have until I can acquire some better fuel. Running Maxima 2-stroke oil, planning on 32:1 ratio.
20180627_152046_zpsujvgtcll.jpg

My seat was cracked when I got the cart. It gave out on the first run around the neighborhood the other day. The following is basically the before and after of the fiberglass repair I'm attempting on the seat.
20180627_191701_zpsjpx3tbqv.jpg

Continued below...

Mixed 4oz's of resin which ended up being to much. Prior to this I sanded the seat and laid out the fiberglass cloth well beyond the area needing repair.
20180630_044648_zpsghqfxqmi.jpg

I did a light layer of resin across the entire area I planned to cover, then laid the pre-cut cloth over it. Then I applied resin across the entire area, making sure to soak the cloth thoroughly and remove any air bubbles using a dabbing motion. This is with the resin still wet.
20180630_045407_zpse25xuoac.jpg

20180630_045444_zps2zjwgh3b.jpg

Anyway, in about 15min I'll be starting on the other side of the seat. Going to use small bits of chop mat to fill the gap so that its good enough to run tomorrow for some more test driving. Tomorrow after I take the kart out I'll sand everything and lay a layer of fiberglass cloth on the inside of the seat as well.

I do have a couple of concerns about certain parts on the kart, I'm clueless on jetting, and I could use some advice on brake pedal adjustment. Like how much pedal movement should be necessary for the brakes to start to bite.

Thanks, BJ

This will likely make a good play kart, but I doubt it's very race worthy. It is old (40mm axle) and my guess would be it's a 1999 Honda CR125 with a 6 speed gear cluster. It also appears to be a 99' cylinder, which is not the current hot set up. For the engine to be even remotely competitive anywhere, you'd need a 2001 cylinder and head, the entire exhaust package to go with it, and the current carb set up. Not sure what that is at the moment since we've been out of shifters for 5 or 6 years now.
Check to see what main and pilot jets are in it, and how the plug and top of the piston look. If it looks rich, leave it alone. If it looks dry and gray, go up at least two on the main jet and at least one on the pilot. Won't hurt to raise the jet needle either. Run the highest octane fuel you can find in it. I'd suggest using Motul 2T at 6 to 8 oz./gl.
Above all, if you are truly interested in racing shifters...do NOT spend money and time on that kart.
DON'T drive it on the road. It makes us all look very bad!!!!!
Have fun,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I recognize this is kind of an entry level kart at this point and I'm cool with that. I picked it up to see if I would enjoy it and so that I could at least get started on learning how to drive a shifter. I'll probably mostly be doing non-competitive stuff for the time being as I get more used to driving it. Honestly I'd still be down to race it against, newer, faster, karts just to gain the experience.

As for the jets, this is an area where I'm basically clueless. Do you have any advice on how to identify what jets I have or a link to somewhere I could find more information about them? I've done some searching but haven't found anything definitive. Also, do you think I should just run the 110 with a proper oil ratio instead of blending it down to say, 98 or 100? Most of what I've found so far has said to run 98 or VP C12.

Driving it on the road up here, while I could get away with it, is something I'm going to avoid. Many of the roads are rough and a lot of them have steep drops with no guard rails on the sides. The road in my neighborhood (its gated) is private property and hardly traveled. I've been working with my neighbors and think we've found an agreement on where I can run it in case I make a change to the kart and want to test it out. Outside of that I plan to keep it on the track or on private property if I have permission from the owner to run there. I'd like to avoid jail or hurting someone, both of which are possible on public roads.

In a little bit I'll be posting some more pictures of the motor. There's a few things I have questions about and it'll make it easier for ya'll to help me identify what I have.

First, the seat back in the cart. Obviously I could do some sanding to make it look better but for now it works.
20180702_164926_zpswmeupsmd.jpg

Next, motor pictures.
20180702_164758_zpse6mjdapu.jpg

20180702_164818_zps97fvpker.jpg

And now the 2 pictures that show some things I wanted to ask about. First, should I have a cover over the area with the clutch lever? The kart didn't have one when I got it.
20180702_164846_zpsdackpksu.jpg

Second, I noticed the carb has some inlets/outlets on it for what I assume is some kind of vacuum system. In pictures of this carb I've seen lines running off of it. Just wondering where they would go, if they're necessary, and why anyone would remove them.
20180702_164804_zpsuvsixjlw.jpg

Those look like vent lines.
Cover over that couldn't hurt anything , might even save a dnf or a finger.

So they're fine like that? I'm used to fuel injection so all this is new to me. And yea, I would not want to get my hand or any part of my clothing stuck up in there while I'm running. That would suck hahaha. I have some sheet aluminum I can cut to fit but I guess I'll look for something thats a bit nicer.

Anyone have advice on flushing the brake system? My fluid looks nasty and I feel like my brakes take way to much effort to engage. I'm sure part of it is an adjustment issue but really I'd like to flush and replace. I have some Motul RBF600 (DOT 4) lying around I could replace it with but I'm not sure if its compliant with the kart. Seems like most setups run higher but I don't know if mine being a 2007 makes a difference.

Check the plug and the top of the piston first. If it looks dark and rich, leave it alone. Put a new plug in it, and check it after each run. If it looks lean, eg: grey, whitish, Loosen and remove the air cleaner. Same with the carb. There's a 17mm plug on the bottom of the bowl, remove it..obviously it's full of fuel. Look inside, there's a brass main jet sticking down. Remove it with a (I believe) 6mm socket. On the side of the jet is a number..eg: 162, 165, 178 etc, etc. If the plug looks lean, go up a jet or two. Example, if there's a 162 in it, go to a 168 or 170. And keep checking the plug after you run it. Don't over tighten the jet, they break off easily. After you get the hole thing back together, put it in gear with the plug out and spin the engine over a few time. This refills the carb bowl with fuel.
You don't need to put a side cover on the ignition side. Nobody uses them...keep your fingers out of there when it's running...that simple.
Use DOT 4, Motul is what we use. Flush the entire system with new fluid, that should help. But all the seals and o-rings might need to be replaced for the brakes to actually work properly. Flush the entire system about once a season.
It does appear to be a 99 motor. Very normal, and parts are readily available from any shop specializing in shifters. With the straight intake, it's also not legal to run in Stock Honda. And obviously there's no way of knowing what else was done to it.
You might consider going on the ekarting forum, under shifter karts for more info. Bob's is great for 4 stroke stuff, but not so much for shifters.
But again, if you actually intend on racing a shifter kart, that is not the one you want. But just in case... before you actually race it, I'd suggest having someone go over the motor. Is it fails during a race, it could destroy itself, then costing more to repair then it's worth. As a warning, a complete rebuild, including a new crank/rod assembly, piston and going through the gear box will likely run you $800 plus. Running a shifter is not easy or cheap.
It's much easier to talk over the phone then go back and forth here. So if you'd like, give me a call. 610-326-8284
Have fun,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Almost forgot, don't dumb down the fuel. If you can get 110, use that. 6-8 oz/gl. Motul 2T.
I'd stay above 98 octane to be safe.
Clark.

Thats exactly the kind of jetting info I was looking for, thank you. Unfortunately I have an anxiety thing about phone calls (its weird but I hate it), dunno where that came from but that's a whole other story haha. I got a kart mainly because I wanted to start getting track time in and this is going to be so much cheaper to run than my 5.0L V8 240sx track build. I know its not "cheap" but its a less expensive option all things considered. I'll pull the plug today or tomorrow and check it out to see how it looks. I'll probably go ahead and replace it unless its in great condition. I'll try running the 110 by itself and see how it does. I believe the shop I got it from can order more if I need it, otherwise I'm trekking to Asheville or Atlanta.

I'll check out ekarting as well. Thanks again man.

I should mention that my brother and I will also be using this as a test mule for a telemetry system he is developing so really any run time, competitive or otherwise, will give us some great data to work with and help improve what he's been working on.

OoOOooOoh SNAP!!! Forget what people say, dude.... that's an awesome kart! I have an 80cc myself, would love to get a 125cc with the legendary mighty front brake setup..... ya'll know wassup with the front brakes! Anyway, if you don't mind telling, what did you trade for it? You got a good deal huh? I'm jealous. But that missing ignition cover, people take it off all the time on shifter karts as to make room to fit on kart without interfering with the seat but I don't get it seeing how there seems to be enough room regardless? If that motor is stock, you can run it at the Honda CR125 stock class at your local kart club (99-01 engines)..... everyone runs stock now with the Honda CR125 motor whereas years before the modified motors was the way to go but due to cost, right now it's STOCK. "Swedetech" is a known shifter kart motor build company and have been in the game a long time, not sure if that's just an intake plate or if your motor is actually blueprinted or not.

Anyway, enjoy your shifter kart.

OoOOooOoh SNAP!!! Forget what people say, dude.... that's an awesome kart! I have an 80cc myself, would love to get a 125cc with the legendary mighty front brake setup..... ya'll know wassup with the front brakes! Anyway, if you don't mind telling, what did you trade for it? You got a good deal huh? I'm jealous. But that missing ignition cover, people take it off all the time on shifter karts as to make room to fit on kart without interfering with the seat but I don't get it seeing how there seems to be enough room regardless? If that motor is stock, you can run it at the Honda CR125 stock class at your local kart club (99-01 engines)..... everyone runs stock now with the Honda CR125 motor whereas years before the modified motors was the way to go but due to cost, right now it's STOCK. "Swedetech" is a known shifter kart motor build company and have been in the game a long time, not sure if that's just an intake plate or if your motor is actually blueprinted or not.

Anyway, enjoy your shifter kart.
he bought a kart that doesnt have that type of racing in a 3 hour radius around him, thats what happens when you jump before looking.
all his post are in this thread, and he hasnt logged in since his last post, he probably discovered the distance to the track and sold the kart or its just a yard kart now

Whether there is a track or not...... shifter karts are thee best! So just having one around makes you a winner already in my book. :)

Nothing like having the cream of the crop, most valued kart, FRONT BRAKES ( I drool a little when I see them beautiful front calipers), awesome purebred race machinery that is.... 'Shifter Kart'. Damn, now I want a Two Fiddy Superkart! Yee-Haw!!!

Whether there is a track or not...... shifter karts are thee best! So just having one around makes you a winner already in my book. :)

Nothing like having the cream of the crop, most valued kart, FRONT BRAKES ( I drool a little when I see them beautiful front calipers), awesome purebred race machinery that is.... 'Shifter Kart'. Damn, now I want a Two Fiddy Superkart! Yee-Haw!!!

Yea our 450RMZ open kart is a pure racing machine, in this part of the county a sprint kart is useless

Back