New to the sport.

boostlag90

Hey guys new to the karting scene. I am looking at purchasing my first kart soon.I live in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach. I wanna run dirt oval. My local track runs these classes but I really don't know the rules or the class I should run in.Clone Heavy, Pro Super Heavy, Clone Super Heavy, Clone Medium, Pro Champ ,Animal Heavy ,Amateur and Red Plate. Also looking for recommendations for a local shop or person who can help me with my kart along the way.

First, welcome aboard ! You will want to go to the track or tracks you plan to race. Find out what chassis are popular, find out what classes are ran there. Make sure you go in the pits. Take a pad & pen with you. Walk around talk to as many people as you can. Gather as much info as you can, & go from there. I'm sure more will chim in with more info. Good luck ! & have FUN!

You are new to racing, the track you mentioned has an amateur class, so if i were in your position I would find out what the engine of choice is for the amatuer class and I would start there. This will give you a class to make laps and get seat time in, without getting in the way of more experienced drivers and possibly getting yourself or someone else hurt. Please be mindful of the guys who race the bigger classes, they usually have thousands of dollars in equipment and put alot of time and effort into getting the best they can out of that equipment, the last thing you want to do is get in their way and get yourself hurt. The amatuer class is there for a reason, so people can join the sport and learn while not being in the way of more experienced drivers. Look for a good 2005 or newer dirt oval offset chassis, whatever brand of tire the track specifies, and some equipment, dont skimp on safety gear because it is important. Look around in classifieds on here for someone selling a complete race ready setup that you can buy and get right to racing, less headaches and hassle that way. Have fun with it and just focus on getting seat time and experience for now. Palmetto speedshop isn't far from you, neither is B&M Karting, both very reputable kart shops that can get you going in the right direction

choosing a class you will need to consider weight (total weight- kart & driver, safety equip. , fuel ect.) ; classes have minimum requirements , also some classes require the drivers to be a minimum weight along with the minimum weight required. These minimum weights can be different track to track depending on the class .

There are lots of decisions ahead of you ! commonly : driver age , motor, clutch type (shoe/disc/drum), exhaust pipe/s , tires , gear ratio, even specific gears (driver&axle) which can fall under track rules and class rules or both !

I'm in Conway. Be glad to help. Been racing since '97. PM me for contact info. I also sell parts and karts and frequent Southern Kartway.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I plan on checking out Low Country on August the 13th. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Hey guys new to the karting scene. I am looking at purchasing my first kart soon.I live in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach. I wanna run dirt oval. My local track runs these classes but I really don't know the rules or the class I should run in.Clone Heavy, Pro Super Heavy, Clone Super Heavy, Clone Medium, Pro Champ ,Animal Heavy ,Amateur and Red Plate. Also looking for recommendations for a local shop or person who can help me with my kart along the way.

Matt Bryant with Palmetto Speed Shop located in Conway, SC would be the perfect person for you to speak with about all of this! He will help you any way he can!

Back