New to Western KY karting

mike97760

Site Supporter
Not exactly new to karting but I'm new to this area and just bought a Ultramax kart with a Predator and want to get racing again in the area (I'm in Hopkinsville, KY). I really don't know a soul around here who is running dirt karts and I'd like to get in contact with racers in this area. Right now I'm looking at running in Russellville for the winter and would like to find a group who knows what's up. I appreciate any advice and look forward to meeting racing folks.

There are several tracks within a couple hours of you but most are shut down or about to for the season. I am not real far from you but probably won't run many of the indoors. This area is pretty good about some fairly friendly karters and you should have no problem finding some people to talk with.

J&M motorsports in Columbia KY isn't too far from you and races year round as long as there isn't rain or snow on the ground, great track and great people running it, always a good crowd there. Also, Liberty Ky has indoor races coming up 3rd weekend of November, then again in December and again around the first of January. I can get you info and dates for the liberty indoor races if you like, just message me

Thank you W5R, I appreciate your help. I'm quite a bit further west, near I-24. An hour out of Paducah, Evansville, and Nashville and an hour west of Bowling Green. Thanks again.

There are several Facebook pages with karts for sale close and on here of course. What kind of kart are you looking for?

Flat kart Frame or roller, doesn't matter to me. It's going to be my project away from the wife, lol. Something to run in the Box Stock, then eventually Pro Clone

Thank you W5R, I appreciate your help. I'm quite a bit further west, near I-24. An hour out of Paducah, Evansville, and Nashville and an hour west of Bowling Green. Thanks again.

There are a few tracks around Bowling Green in RussellVille Ky and Powderly Ky. Look up Hillbilly Raceway on facebook, the promotor there runs the outdoor and indoor tracks both in that area. There Is also another track called Briar Patch Raceway not far from you, right outside Morgantown Ky

Thanks, W5R, I went a few weeks ago to watch at Hillbillys last race and plan on trying Russelville indoor soon.

My advice for Russellville is use an old body, and take extra spindles and Nerf bars, those guys get rough at the indoor races there and flagman doesn't do much about it

I saw on Facebook an announcement from the indoor guy that he now has a new race director and flagman. I heard there were some problems last race.

you know...I've never raced 4 strokes before so I'm not exactly sure on the clone/predator engine rules. What I bought was a kart with a new Huffer non-hemi on it, brand new, some sort of mild cam, flywheel change, 18# springs, aftermarket air cleaner. My impression is that it has stock rod and piston. Some sort of heavy adult class. Been trying to find AKRA rules to see what their definition is.

Last edited:
Huffer is a friend of mine, that is Sam Huffer from Elizabethtown Ky and he is a good guy, they had some good engines at the tracks where they race at, i race with them occasionally. Your engine should be legal to run box stock at any of the tracks around ky, most of them dont have tech, just a claim rule as long as the engine has stock airbox and small pipe on it.

Thanks W5. I called him right after I bought the kart and he was very helpful and sounded like a real nice guy. Been meaning to talk more with him and I'm sure I will after I get a few more parts and get ready to finally run this thing. Hey are you going to Russellville this weekend?

Last edited:
W5R I went to Russellville indoor yesterday (to watch and find a few parts) and you described it pretty accurately.

Back