No start go kart

EricP68

I have a go kart that ran fine then started sputtering and quit. It would not start I changed plug then carb it started ran for about ten minutes and quit. Now won't start again any suggestions?

Lots of knowledge on this site. We’ll help get you going but need some additional details. Do you know what engine we’re dealing? Is it pull or electric start? What environment were you riding it in when it stopped (dry, wet, snow, mud, etc)? Have you checked for spark? Is the air filter enclosed or exposed?

I’d be sure to cycle the kill switch a few times and check all electrical connections. If you were in mud, check the overflow lines coming off of the carb and make sure they’re not plugged up. I’d also pull the air filter and look in the carb and drop the carb bowl to see if there’s contamination or if the float is stuck.

It's a Zongshen a China motor it's electric start 125cc last time it started it just sat there idling so no mud.

Ask yourself these questions, did you fill it with fuel then it cut off. Check for water in the fuel. Before I go on check to see if you have spark first. If you do then move onto see if you have water in the fuel, also check your air filter did it get wet on oil soaked some how. If all this checks ok then un plug oil sensor to make sure you dont have a bad low oil unit. If that is not it like they mentioned before look at plug real well is it wet or does it have black soot on it. If all of that checks out ok then pull side cover and make sure you have not sheared a flywheel key.

Since you already checked the oil level, I would then check for spark as its the simplest to check and will save you the time of doing other tests if its the problem. if it has spark i would then look at the air box and filter, easy enough to see if there is an issue, if that looked good i would then drain the carb bowl into a clear cup and look for water also drain a little from the take to make sure its flowing properly, if that looks fine, then you would be into something most likely mechanical, so that being said id check the compression.

if it has spark, clean air filter, new gas with no water and good compression, there very well could be an air leak on the intake side or valve lash is wrong. past all that I'm not sure but do check the basics fist and report back.

also as already said you could just spray ether in the air filter, if it starts for a few seconds/minute or runs after the starting fluid that means you have spark, air, compression, so that would lead me to believe it will be a fuel /carb/air leak issue

although ether can mask low compression, so it may start and run using ether but still be too low of compression to pull start without ether.

Last edited:
Either is my first go too .
If No start then check spark.
Then carb/fuel .
After that it depends how bad i want it too run . :giggle:.
Or if there's another running option .
Valve cover/ compression check .

Junk spark plugs cause bad results
that is true, I build Honda D-series and B-series engines and i would never use anything other then a NGK standard plug or the NGK "race" plug with the welded on terminal

i also ran honda cr250's for years and years and only use the same plugs as listed above

that is true, I build Honda D-series and B-series engines and i would never use anything other then a NGK standard plug or the NGK "race" plug with the welded on terminal

i also ran honda cr250's for years and years and only use the same plugs as listed above
With that said, is the plug you replaced a hotter or colder plug vs the factory plug?

With that said, is the plug you replaced a hotter or colder plug vs the factory plug?
depends really. on a factory engine 4 stroke or 2 stroke id use the plug temp suggested by the engine manufacture if i plan on using it under normal conditions, if i know ill be hard on it ill go one step colder

if its a built engine NA or turbo id use a colder plug and would start by going 2 steps colder right off the bat and feel that out.

if its a motocross 2 stoke you plan to use in the woods or to putt around on i would go one step warmer on the plug to help with fouling since you wont be at WOT full time like the bike was made for.

there are so many variables honestly.

Edit, i get it lol, you wernt asking me, you were asking him.

Back