Non resistor

unscrew internal connector resistor will fall out. Replace it with a length of brass, copper or steel of comparable size and length.

Ive been racing almost 4 years in stock classes and have not once seen a resistor checked Don...even at big shows and money races it is overlooked

I have had 3 checked this year.... all 3 were good.... all three needed to be replaced after the tech man was finished. All three were broke similar to the one in the picture above.
What about the ones out there that don't unscrew? How are they teched?

No machining or alteration of parts allowed unless specifically noted. Page 482nd sentence. Now, if the part is coming in without the resistor on current engines, then AKRA will review it and make a decision as to allow it or not. I will get with the committee and we will give you an answer. Until then, it is not legal to remove it. A side note, I have not seen an advantage to the ones with out over the ones with on the dyno.

Removing the resistor, when allowed permits you to open the gap up. It may not show definate power increase but the spark has to be stronger, thus more reliable, Ohms Law.

The clone engines have been coming in with and without resistors for years. We sell the ones without resistors as parts and they have been legal since early 2011. Yo can buy the one without it if the motor you buy has a boot with the resistor in it. They come stock from the factory this way. It has never been a problem.

AKRA informed me that the rules were designed around the original engine that had the resistor in the boot. If engines came through with out the resistor AKRA was never notified. Therefore, until further notice the resistor must be present and no modifications are allowed.

Resistor wires and/or plugs are designed to suppress noise in your electronic devices, such as radios and TVs. Radios and TVs can deal with a consistent electronic noise but have trouble with variable noise. Thus the resistor to smooth out that variable noise. I can't say with any authority that the resistor doesn't affect performance, but I doubt the automotive industry would use them if it did, let alone the lawnmower and water pump industry.

AKRA informed me that the rules were designed around the original engine that had the resistor in the boot. If engines came through with out the resistor AKRA was never notified. Therefore, until further notice the resistor must be present and no modifications are allowed.

Ok, but by this reasoning there are a lot of engines out there that are now totally illegal. In addition to the 10,000 plus engines that will be wrong on the boot. There are all kinds of non spec parts like blower covers, starter /recoil cups, and even connecting rods. All passing tech every week for several years now. None were ever approved and one builder in particular may have hundreds of illegal engines running at the biggest races in the country.

If this outlook is applied, we have a huge problem. It may be in our best interest to simply ignore this for the time being.

Who would win if every engine in the class gets tossed on a boot.

Back