Noram Cheetah problems

mattf76

Hello,
I'm not that familiar with this clutch but I have a customer who purchased a used one and has run it several weeks on their gold plate flathead without issue. Recently, the clutch begins to lock up and binding the drive chain causing the driver to not finish the race. They did not have it mounted properly. this all happened after switching to a 13 tooth driver was a 12 tooth previously. I took apart and cleaned it as I would a bully etc, put back on at track correctly. In his feature he managed to make more laps than the heat races but it eventually locked up again. after coming off track I grabbed right rear and gave it a spin back and forth and the clutch released.. Any ideas or what culprit could be so I can get him fixed up. I'd like to help them out here as their funds due to medical issues has put a damper on their program and allowance for a new/different clutch..
Thank you,
Matt Field

Floater or discs are most likely warped from heat and need replaced or clutch rebuilt. Every time I have seen one lock up its been warped floater or discs, or rust from not maintaining the clutch properly between races. I'd suggest having your customer find a better quality clutch

Floater or discs are most likely warped from heat and need replaced or clutch rebuilt. Every time I have seen one lock up its been warped floater or discs, or rust from not maintaining the clutch properly between races. I'd suggest having your customer find a better quality clutch

This would be my answer as well -- BUT another alternative since they are limited on funds is to just run a drum clutch (although they won't be as competitive as with a fresh Bully clutch.)
IF there is endplay for the driver (and that is not the problem;) I am guessing that the floater disc is binding on the splines.
You can take a dremel or flat file and dress the floater disc where it rides on the splines and make sure that it floats smoothly with no binding whatsoever.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Iv seen the pivot pins for levers get crap in them and cause it to stay engaged took it apart and cleaned them little lube and haven't had a problem since.

Thanks everyone! I gave him a hillard drum clutch and set it up for him for the time being. I will look into this more.
Regards,
Matt

Back