Normal tappet noise or is something wrong?

Zachfeen

Hi there,

Working on getting my Tillotson 212 up and running right. Got the carb tuned right and got it running but noticed a bit of noise coming from the blower area that seemed abnormal. So I pulled the blower housing and turned the engine over by hand and heard some noise internal to the engine. Pulled the engine apart and did some diagnosing, with pushrods and rockers off, the noise disappears. As soon as I put either pushrod/ rocker on the noise returns and as the noise in internal to the crankcase, gotta be coming from the lifters

Video below. Opinions? Of note there is no oil in the crankcase in this video (which is probably making the sound much louder than it would be with oil in it, just a bunch squirted on all rotating pieces. Is there normal solid tappet noise or is something wrong?

Checked the rod, no up and down play, a bit of side to side play which I think is normal. But the fact that the noise goes away when the pushrods and rockers are off makes me think it’s not anything to do with the rod.

Tillotson 212
Banzai 265
1.2 rockers
Shaved head
Billet rod and flywheel
Lash set to .003 on both valves at TDC on compression stroke

Last edited:
Another thing to note, when the engine is running, the noise is hard to pick out, not nearly as loud sounding as the video makes it out to be.

Starting to think this is just the compression release doing its thing, retested and with the exhaust rocket on the noise is loud lime
In the video, intake rocker alone that loud rock is not present

Nope no witness marks on the cam/crank/compression release. I think the noise I’m hearing with the engine running is simply the fan, and when I hear a slight knock when turning the engine over by hand I freaked myself out. Pretty sure this is just the release functioning because it does not knock like this running

Last edited:
More likely the cam moving .
Side too side as the valve springs exert pressure on the Cam lobes . Compression release should be pretty silent.

are your tappets moving freely? sounds like they are not falling fast enough and the lobe is smacking them.

They do move freely. When I pull the cam out they fall out on their own. I put it all back together and put it on the bike and it seems to run great. Just a disconcerting sound

Back