Northwestern U, football team approved to go union

Northwestern in is the extreme north side of Chicago. In Chicago EVERYTHING is union. Unions in their corruption are better than no unions at all. Spent a long time both ways.
MUCH prefer union employment.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the colleges has to pay these students...then they should not get free scholarship...if they are rewarded with a scholarship it should be due to their grade's not because they played a sport in high school... these people are students not employee's...if they decide to pay these students then they should have to pay their on health insurance, etc...just like us working people do...

Last edited:
Northwestern is a private university. This doesnt apply to public schools and will definitely go under appeal. Although I disagree with paying student athletes, the NLRB was able to decently establish, IMO, a clear separation of athletics vs school and was able to provide many examples how athletes are treated like employees.

When these kids start gettting 1099's for tuition, meals, room etc + union dues they may have seen they made a mistake
Some of the lesser schools will drop athletics all together
SA's get paid by a full ride to play sports, but for some I guess that isnt good enough

"When these kids start gettting 1099's for tuition, meals, room etc + union dues they may have seen they made a mistake"

They should pay taxes on it now, even if they do not organize. Students should pay taxes on all scholarships, why should they not it's income? Why does getting a perfect score on your SAT's, make you entitled to something in a public school others are not entitled too? Your only entitled to two things in a public school, to be graded fairly and to get a diploma if you warrant one.

Let individual or collective bargaining decide sports player and even academic scholars payment.

The notion that these are "students first" should be dispelled. They are athletes first, then students; and that is what the entire ruling by Ohr hinges on.

When college football players start getting paid ill stop watching it, that's always been the beauty of college ball to me the majority of the kids are out there because love to play the game and pay scale is not on the table. Is going to college for free and getting to play a game that you love with the possibility of making millions in the future not good enough? To me NFL players aren't worth a quarter of what any of them get paid.

Just give the stadiums to kiss ups who put current officials in office and let them start Football Colleges. Ain't no different then buying stadiums for pro teams. The Football Colleges would become the new minor league for the Pro's. If they can make a go of it then fine. If not were out of the public sports business, taxes could be collected instead of giving funny money to jocks to put on a show and college costs would lower. College sports competition could shift to drum corps and marching band. No reason to do away with cheer leading and majorettes, let them compete and show their talents, but without scholarships.

edit: Maybe privatize college sports and start up endowments to keep them going. Students would compete for private endowments instead of public funds.

... ya know the solution is to setup endowments for college sport teams and pay the players. hummm... if there going to be paid, shouldn't there be standards setup for job selection and then will there be a merit pay system or a flat rate for different positions? Would entry freshmen all be paid the same until they become starters?

Then if there's going to be pay for performance would it go along with points scored, games won or championships brought back to the school? If a team has a loosing season, would players be replaced or scholarships taken away and given to new recruits ? I think the way it is now, if a student doesn't preform on the football field, they just flunk them out of school. The only reason bad players flunk out is because there put out because of poor performance.

just had another thought about it... If there employees at least in Ohio and PA you work at the discretion of your employer. They would be open to being fired and have their schooling ended, no matter how good they did in school.

on scholarships:

https://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/3291-top-ten-myths-about-scholarships?page=5

When college football players start getting paid ill stop watching it, that's always been the beauty of college ball to me the majority of the kids are out there because love to play the game and pay scale is not on the table. Is going to college for free and getting to play a game that you love with the possibility of making millions in the future not good enough? To me NFL players aren't worth a quarter of what any of them get paid.
LOL they do get paid now, several instances where players have been paid or given benefits, but the NCAA wont do anything about it

READ THE NEWS
NO ONE IS GETTING PAID
, it's comp insurance if someone gets hurt and the school pulls their scholarship, after all isn't it about education :)

Do you people realize the amount of money made off a game televised on National TV, Top 20 most valuable football programs all made at least $24 million in profit last year, according to Forbes.

So you bust tail get the grades play great football train train train(most of you have no clue how much training) and you get a scholarship worth 20k+ a year ...................................they actually hired you to play football and they know they will make money off YOU playing football because when you get hurt you lose the scholarship ..........and if you cannot pay tuition you must leave school

FAIR for the school and not for the player ............................the all mighty Dollar is what we all fight for some are better at making money then others

College is the Pro's minor league Mr. Kish, Many college football teams have more wealth then most Pro teams

Make a true minor league football system and relegate college football to the amateur status it should hold. Seems to work for all the other sports just fine...

Negotiated salary, what a great country we live in :)

I don't disagree, if you can negotiate more money go for it. What saddens me are the fools that will pay it. It is a sad state of affairs when a college football coach is paid more than a professor of orthopedic surgery at a medical school.

The bottom line in this world is revenue.............we have seen some uneducated people generate allot of revenue

Professor of orthopedic surgery at a medical school net worth maybe 300k...........what sorta of revenue can the professor produce

Pretty girl in a race car net worth 18 million.......................sound familiar?

There's no doubt that college sports is messed up. But what kills me is I was listening to espn radio the other morning and they were talking about the ad at Ohio st and how in his contract if any of their sports teams make it to the playoff championships etc he gets a weekly salary payout at a payout of 18,000 dollars and possibly more so why is it ok for the ad coaches etc to get lucrative bonuses and the player can receive clothing, tattoo car etc or even sell his or her autograph for a couple of bucks or even have his plane ticket payed for to go home to visit family after all not every college student has money full ride or not schools and t.v markets are making millions of these kids putting everything they have on the line and in some instance their careers have ended abruptly I think they deserve a little more but not necessarily money but something.

if they are paid "employees" then they should have to do as i do as an employee...an that is to pay for everything i have...so lets said they are paid...practice is what 2 hours for 3 days...the game is 3 hours...thats a nine hour week..."off season" they recieve NO pay...and still will have to pay as i do...oh but they will have to pay for travel, room, food, medical and to have their uniforms washed etc...during the playing season... and they will have to pay for their "schooling"...it could go on an on...

Last edited:
Back