not sure if this is the place to ask a bought kt100s?

subbietjw

so I have a 2 stroke back round with weed eaters, go peds, and dirt bikes... but have never had a kt100 or a kart that was 2 stroke... so I need info on the kt's... I was offered one stupid cheap!!! but its been sitting out side for a couple years, and hasn't been started... is it even worth it? and I need to know what kind of carb are on them? and last how do the ports run on them? if I get it I know the first thing im going to do is start porting... I just know my self... any info I can get would help...

The KT100 is a simple and rugged air-cooled engine that uses piston-ported intake induction with a Walbro WB-3A. They retail for about $700 new. You will also need an expensive clutch, starter and exhaust pipe/can.

that I know of its all there... so pretty much get it started and sale it...??? expensive isn't in my pocket book... lol

Maybe if he will give it to ya and you love building stuff yourself because your gonna need to redo everything , all bearings including crank, case, rod , hone maybe bore, maybe coil, it's probably toast from setting out so long. You can find a decent KT on here sometimes for 300 bucks, something that will actually run. There have been some good deals on here lately. The carb is a Walbro WB3A , not much different than what you will find on a weed eater other than having a .950 venturi. They are a fun motor to play with and learn on and spare parts are easy to come by. As far as how do the ports run on them ? It was built to run in a class of it's own so port timing is mild in stock trim as is it's compression ratio, lots of room for improvement. Jon

its on a chassis with the motor for $100... I don't even want the kart or motor... but im thinking of getting it to flip it... but that is if the piston is still free in there??? its one of them things where I want to start it be for I buy it... but I know if it does run the price just went up... I know if I drive it i'll end up keeping it... nothing beets a 2 stroke... =) just don't know what im getting into...

If you openly state you don't know what you're getting into (post #5), why would you say the first thing you're going to do is to start porting it (post #1)? At least educate yourself about the engine and how it works before you start hacking on it. If you plan to "flip it" as you may, it'd have more value left stock so someone who does know what they're doing can do it the way they want it. JMHO

I wouldn't assume it's junk, but I would take it apart and look inside before I started it. The engine would have to be, "total" junk not to be worth $100. I'm sure if you just parted it out you could get well over $100 for it.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

I know 2 strokes just not the kart 2 strokes like the kt or prillas... my 2 stroke stuff is weed eaters, blowers, go peds, and dirt bikes... all of my karting has been done with clones, ranging from 10 to 17-18hp... I just don't know the kart motors, cant know what you have never used.. and as for porting a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke...

Not all 2strokes are the same. They are all different. Port it how you want but do it wrong and you will be getting a new cylinder.

Frankie

I know 2 strokes just not the kart 2 strokes like the kt or prillas... my 2 stroke stuff is weed eaters, blowers, go peds, and dirt bikes... all of my karting has been done with clones, ranging from 10 to 17-18hp... I just don't know the kart motors, cant know what you have never used.. and as for porting a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke...

Thats not very correct. With porting on a kart racing engine you must have an objective for the work your doing. Where do want the engine rpms to run peak at. Do you want a low torque motor or a high rapping engine . The ports must be opened in the correct place and to the specific amount to achieve these goals. You cant just go in and start grinding without knowing where to grind and how much to enlarge, or you will end up with a piece of crap.Thats what vintagequest was trying to tell you. These are well kept secrets that a top engine builder has spent lots of time and effert learning, thats why they get the big bucks for thier work.Spend some time and effort looking back thru the posts on kts and port work on them and try to get a idea of what you need to do first. Thats a good piece of advice.

What is your karting background? With over 200 post you should know quite a bit about engines and karts.
I started karting in 1966. I always built my own engines until I got to the KT 100 in 1977. After that, because I didn't have the equipment, Terry Ives did my KT's and Rotary valves.

One thing about porting, because of the difference in strokes and other stuff, you must do your porting measured in degrees. Degrees are the same for all engines.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Back