O/T Hemi question... sort of

redrum

Hey all, I sure enjoy checking out you guy's performance work on these engines. Great stuff.

My question is, how much power could one hope to get out of a Hemi in the governed rpm range and what would it take? I'm not a karter, my issue is high pressure and volume water pumps at high altitude. I do small scale gold mining and a lot of it is at 8000+ ft. elevation. Currently I have a blue 196 clone and it doesn't have enough pop to drive the pump it's attached to. One of the new 301cc clones would be great but the shaft size is 1in. and the impellar fits a 3/4in. shaft. And a $600.00 Honda isn't in the budget.
So, what do you guru's think?
Thanks for your time.

Hey all, I sure enjoy checking out you guy's performance work on these engines. Great stuff.

My question is, how much power could one hope to get out of a Hemi in the governed rpm range and what would it take? I'm not a karter, my issue is high pressure and volume water pumps at high altitude. I do small scale gold mining and a lot of it is at 8000+ ft. elevation. Currently I have a blue 196 clone and it doesn't have enough pop to drive the pump it's attached to. One of the new 301cc clones would be great but the shaft size is 1in. and the impellar fits a 3/4in. shaft. And a $600.00 Honda isn't in the budget.
So, what do you guru's think?
Thanks for your time.

You can have the shaft on the 301cc engines turned down to 3/4" at any machine shop

The pumps that Harbor Freight carries do not have the pressure for the type of work I'm doing.

W5R, that is an idea to think on. But for now I have the 60363 in hand.

for $99 you cant go wrong give it a try. If it doesn't have enough power do some basic modifications to it. Replace the head gasket with a thinner one, mill the head about .060" and advance the timing about 4 degrees

The pumps that Harbor Freight carries do not have the pressure for the type of work I'm doing.

W5R, that is an idea to think on. But for now I have the 60363 in hand.
You don't mention your mechanical abilities...are you capable of doing 'lite' motor work? Several things can be done too the 60363 (or others) that can meet your needs. Also, have you considered the idea of simply removing the Governor and increasing the RPM....'a bit'? (at 8000ft, I suspect the rpm is limited in what you currently have) JMO

Yeh, I've got no problem doing motor work. I figured on taking the sharp edges out of the ports, back cutting the intake valve and port the inside of the exhaust flange so the exhaust can at least not have to get squeezed directly into that tiny pipe. The stock muffler stays 'cause I like the quiet. And a thinner head gasket.
And thanks for the info and ideas.

Have U tried increasing the governed speed to say 4600rpm's from 3600 ? That should pick U up another HP. Also a jet change is needed for that altitude . If U haven't done that yet from stock , that's another HP.

Upping the gov speed probably not realistic as I'll go through 2 or 3 tanks of gas a day, several day's a week. Or am I wrong here? If an oz of yella is found I'd consider it sneaks. But Colorado is a harsh taskmaster for gold. And right now the rivers are raging so its pick and shovel work. the fun seriously lacks.

You aren't gonna use that much more gas just increasing the gov speed, maybe just a slight bit more but definitely not tanks more

You aren't gonna use that much more gas just increasing the gov speed, maybe just a slight bit more but definitely not tanks more
I agree , It will still B more fuel efficient than a GX240/270 or 390/420...BTW , we have gold in western MA . I do metal detecting and some panning and have found small amounts coming of the mountain in my backyard...

I was more concerned with the motor grenading than gas. This a dredge pump and it sits on a floating platform on the river so an exploding engine is not an option. If you have seen Bearing Sea gold you get the idea. Sneaks, its cool that your a prospector too! I've seen pics of some good nuggets coming from the Northeast.

I was more concerned with the motor grenading than gas. This a dredge pump and it sits on a floating platform on the river so an exploding engine is not an option. If you have seen Bearing Sea gold you get the idea. Sneaks, its cool that your a prospector too! I've seen pics of some good nuggets coming from the Northeast.
Here's my best flake . We get flakes here . I don't know what that means .

Back