Odd bore wear in low race clone motor?

Any chance the bolt right there at the funky spot was torqued incorrectly
and distorted the bore ? You could put a stack of washers under each bolt,
torque to spec to simulate the head and mic the bore.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I didn't hone or bore it, bought it new from Dover so I assume he used a torque plate (I hope) its been a strong motor, surprised to see this after so few races.

I went ahead and just honed it out, seemed to clean up fast with my 320 ball hone. We'll run it another race or two and tear it back down to check. I'm torquing the head bolts to spec every time with a good, calibrated CDI torque wrench.

A dingle ball hone isn't going to make anything round if it's not round to begin with.
You need a 4 jawed machinist's hone. Like this one with the correct size range for the stones.
They're expensive, but the bore will be round and straight when used correctly with a torque plate. There are other brands and you can get them cheaper at different places.
https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/engine-cylinder-hone

A dingle ball hone isn't going to make anything round if it's not round to begin with.
You need a 4 jawed machinist's hone. Like this one with the correct size range for the stones.
They're expensive, but the bore will be round and straight when used correctly with a torque plate. There are other brands and you can get them cheaper at different places.
https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/engine-cylinder-hone

bob I know the Dingle ball hones won’t make it round. I’m hoping with only a couple races it isn’t too far out. I just wanted to break the glaze and clean up those marks before reassembly. If it does it again I’ll pull it down and send it off.

Was there a spot on the skirt that coincides with the bore spot? I myself tend to think like others that the bore tweaks up a bit when torqued. These are mass produced the cheapest way possible... there’s bound to be some core shift in those blocks.

Was there a spot on the skirt that coincides with the bore spot? I myself tend to think like others that the bore tweaks up a bit when torqued. These are mass produced the cheapest way possible... there’s bound to be some core shift in those blocks.
No sir, that is what I found very odd. No mark on the skirt. I did however, find the top ring slightly "stuck" in the groove and didn't seem to rotate as well as the second and third ring. I pulled it out and lapped both sides of it and then went over the entire ring with some sotchbrite to make sure all was smooth. It rotates normally in the groove now and seems to run very well on the stand.

Back