oil for alky raptor

mdstephens

im new and I acquired a raptor 3 alky flat head that I cant get to run wide open or stay running, it will start for most part and rev up some what then cut itself out and die. wud wrong oil do this

Sounds like you have a fuel problem. It isnt getting enough fuel to run. It runs out. Does it have the stock carb and tank on it, or aftermarket carb?

Two things to check. What jet size (should be stramped on the face of the jet), check the sprak plug to insure it is properly indexed. -- Chuck

Correct fuel? Is the carb set up for alcohol or gas? Also check the spark plug gap. Head gasket problem? Ignition timing?

When diagnosing an engine problem - check the basics first.

Does it have:
1) combustion
2) spark
3) fuel

Now make sure that it is doing these 3 things at the correct time.

Oil will not cause the problem you are stating - however, since you brought it up -- what oil are you using? Is it what the engine builder recommended or the same brand that the previous owner ran in the engine?

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Does have combustion and spark and fuel it will run .... Kinda but wont rev up with out cutting out and then chokes itself to death. . Im using castrol synthetic in it, thats what i was told, i didnt no since my 2stroke on alky has to have special oil to mix with it if this was the same deal even tho u dont premix the fuel on the flathead. Ill get bak to yall when i get the jet size checked i was told it was alky motor, now indexing is new to me , whats thr trick to index it correctly

thx for helpin

Indexing is orienting the spark plug ground strap so that it is not over the intake valve (ie the valve can't tag the ground strap.)

If the stems in the carb are plugged, that could explain it idling but not "revving up."
Your symptoms also sound like the flywheel may have slipped / ignition timing....that would be another place to look at.

Back