Old Driver Looking To Get Back In

It has been 10 years since I raced a kart and have several questions. I went to a race at the end of the year and noticed many things have changed, but some stuff remains the same from when I was hardcore into racing.

Kart...I have a brand new 2008 kart with a handful of races on it that I bought right before moving out of state...my assumption is that kart is outdated at this point and I should be in search of something made within the past couple years?

Tires...I have 25-30 sets of basically brand new cut SS-33A's that all durometer 55-60 still but are 2008 and older date codes...are these usable at all?

I do have a fresh AKRA clone I picked up, what should my clutch come in at for these motors? I have a couple fresh Bully clutches that were set around 4,000 RPM I believe from when I ran WKA Flatheads.

Other than that it seems tire prep and tires are still king and hitting the right combo makes you superman. I have noticed a return to small tube karts, what gives here? Haha...when I raced last 1-1/4" was king and some were testing 1-3/8" right side rails on karts. I raced 10 years on everything from stock to open karts, but want to learn as much as I can on what has changed since I have been away.

Wow and this is also my "first" post on Bob's new forum..old forum I could've been labeled "diarrhea of the fingers" I posted and replied so much...guess I got work to do! I've missed this community ever since I moved for work 10 years ago, but finally back in my home state and ready to get back into the seat.

Welcome back to karting! It depends on where you are going to race and for fun or big races whether or not your kart is ok. Same goes for the tires, probably good for local racing but series races will need fresher tires. Good luck in your racing!

For at least the upcoming season, probably locally at a track close to where I live. Would like to be competitive, but don't expect to set the world on fire right out of the gate. Sure I have some rust to knock off and seat time to get back where I was before. I fully intended to run an extensive 2009 schedule before life got in the way so I have a ton of great equipment, just has sat in a basement at my parent's for 10 years. Main goals are to have fun and win a few races this upcoming year without destroying too much in the process! Thanks for replying :)

Back