Old tires

I currently race on a small 1/15 mile dirt track in Kansas. I race an adult stock predator class. (can remove governor, open pipe, aircleaner, shoe clutch) last season I ran with stock appearing predator, but this year will be running in separate class. The track gets hard, and dusty. Last season I ran older Dunlops on right side and left rear. Can't prep on race day, so I prep with Black Sand early in week before race day. Some days I was fast enough to win and then their were days I would finish half lap behind. The tires are older QMA's. They are not cracked. Actually still have dipple holes. Question, would it help me if I were to have the tires cut and prepped inside? I have a friend who does so. I had thought about saving money and buying some HT-3's, but if cutting and prepping inside would work, I could spend money on other things I need.

I currently race on a small 1/15 mile dirt track in Kansas. I race an adult stock predator class. (can remove governor, open pipe, aircleaner, shoe clutch) last season I ran with stock appearing predator, but this year will be running in separate class. The track gets hard, and dusty. Last season I ran older Dunlops on right side and left rear. Can't prep on race day, so I prep with Black Sand early in week before race day. Some days I was fast enough to win and then their were days I would finish half lap behind. The tires are older QMA's. They are not cracked. Actually still have dipple holes. Question, would it help me if I were to have the tires cut and prepped inside? I have a friend who does so. I had thought about saving money and buying some HT-3's, but if cutting and prepping inside would work, I could spend money on other things I need.
Think it through and you'll see your answer without anyone chiming in .
Cutting and prepping inside would most likely Eliminate the times your fast now because when your fast now track conditions are most likely closer the same , times your off now is because those tires as raced now do not match track conditions when your slow , so after cutting and internal prep you'd most likely stand atleast a 50 / 50 chance of it helping , So to decide do the days your fast now add up to more times than your not , or would it be better giving up the days your fast now , and would half the days your off now = more times being fast.
:unsure: " MAYBE "

I agree with the above statement. It sounds to me that youre fast when the track conditions are best suited for your tires. You can prep the tires other ways but you will still be in the same boat. I would check around with some kart shops or race teams in your area to see if you can buy some used tires so you can prep them in different ways to be better suited for different track conditions.

Back