Older flat kart set up

I have an older Bug Flat Kart. I am running on a 1/10 mile dirt oval. I have no camber/caster adjustment. All I can adjust is movement of wheels and tire pressure. I can change washers to raise & lower spindles. Kart handles great, except when rubber begins to be laid down in the corner. When I go into the corner I have to either back off throttle or use a bit of break. When I exit turn 1 and enter turn 2 the rear breaks loose and wants to spin out. Not for sure if I need to be adjusting my front or rear.

If the front hits first adjust the front.
If it's the rear adjust the rear .
Racing a vintage class or regular classes with current tires ?

Mounting of the bumpers.....soft vs hard can also change your handling. Back in the day the torque wrench was on the rear bumper mount every time out. Experiment to see what works for you. Also seat mounting was a tuning tool also.

Modify your RF spindle so you can put at least a 7.10 tire on the RF, 10” if you can make that work. Run a 4.50 on the LF, 6 on the LR (a hard tire with no bite), 10” on the RR. Mount the LR seat strut outside the frame on the nerf bar mount. Lay the seat down about half way between current kart standards and sprint kart. The kart is only going to work off of the right side tire in the turns so you want to try to get more left side weight so as not to overload the right side to quick. You’ll be fastest if you find the point on the track to get out of the throttle and roll into the turn and drive the kart into the turn, then feather the throttle coming off so as not to overload the right.

I set up a 1991 Freeroller (the one in my profile pic), like this and was outrunning Stalkers and Shadows on a weekly basis.

Do have to run a treaded tire? If your track is hard enough to build rubber like you said, you should be running slicks. I run an old Invader on a 1/10 mile, low bank, dirt oval. Right spindle all the way down, left spindle all the way up. Around 53-54% cross, 52-53% left. 10" on both right sides.Try adjusting the right front for more side bite. Worked for me.

Back