open clone

Dirtdodger

tried 3 different tillys was told carb was an issue. wont go above 4300 rpm with a 2 or 3 disk bully clutch engaged at about 4000 rpm running a 13/63 gearing. clutch is hot and smoking on both. any ideas whats wrong?

What Tilly? What settings? What pop off? Alcohol or gas? What's the engine build up? If your motor is only revving to 4300 and your clutch stall is 4000, you'll never achieve full lock up and you'll just burn the clutch up. Most clutches start to engage at one rpm (say 4000 in your case) and achieve full lock up several hundred to a thousand RPM later. Let's start at the motor first and get some details so we can help

its got a tilly hl336 on alky. i dont know what the internals are. or anything else for that matter im not very knowledgeable with motors and working on them. im trying to learn when and where i can on them and maybe catch a class or seminar in off season. was hoping someone could give me an idea of a path to troubleshoot. ive cleaned the diaphragm on the carb. ive tried a hl 348 seems too big ive tried an hl 306 i think have to dbl ccheck that one. the guy i got it from dowsnt know exactly what in it. we know the motor runs weve seen it in the past. so we traded to get it. he says its the carb its very picky but i do know this isnt the carb that was on the motor to start with he put the 336 on it. another guy say he thinks too much compression change the head or add a thick gasket to the head. it runs fine just wont go up. i appreciate trying to help but this is literally all the info i have i dont have a gasket set or id pull the cover off of it to see whats in it.

May not be the engine. CHeck your axle and make sure its not shifting side to side when on the track causing it to lean against the brake rotor.

Needle settings? Any idea of pop off? I built a stroker clone with a 348 on it. Had 14:1 compression. That's most I would put in a clone. Unless you're compression is way low. In which case it won't run well on alcohol anyway. Hard to tell what your problem might be without a little more detail.
Try setting low side at 1-1.5 and high side around .5-.75 and adjust from there. I know some Tilly's had different needles in them for a flathead. So if yours isn't specific to your motor, you may never really get it right. Personally, I would junk the Tilly in favor of a mikuni Tm24. That's what I did. Best decision i ever made for that motor

More than likely methanol white powder of death in the tilliy if you havent been purging with gas after running it.
If so time for a complete rebuild and cleaninig

Back