Opinions on going about series sponsorships.

Hi, so I'm undertaking my first year promoting a small traveling series this summer, and I'm curious about the best way to approach series sponsors. I'm really just looking for some perks for my racers, contingency prizes and the like.

Approach as many guy's in business that can provide what your looking for as possible, keep throwing crap against the wall to enough sticks lol !!

I'm curious about the best way to approach series sponsors. .

You have to "sell" it. You must show the potential sponsor how he will benefit from sponsoring. Show him/her how they will have increased sales or positive exposure. Ask yourself why Dewalt or Budweiser or Coke spend 20 million and up a year to be on a race car. Why do businesses spend millions for 30 seconds of air time during a football game? Show these businesses how they will be a better or bigger company by giving you money or goods. Its not easy, I assure you. Some use a pamplet or some sort of presentation showing these benefits while clearly spelling out what you want and what they will get. There is a reason there are people whos job is just to do this very thing. Its hard to do.

You have to "sell" it. You must show the potential sponsor how he will benefit from sponsoring. Show him/her how they will have increased sales or positive exposure. Ask yourself why Dewalt or Budweiser or Coke spend 20 million and up a year to be on a race car. Why do businesses spend millions for 30 seconds of air time during a football game? Show these businesses how they will be a better or bigger company by giving you money or goods. Its not easy, I assure you. Some use a pamplet or some sort of presentation showing these benefits while clearly spelling out what you want and what they will get. There is a reason there are people whos job is just to do this very thing. Its hard to do.

Preach brother preach!!! I will add you need to be social media savvy, most sponsors want a mention and "likes" on FB, Instagram, youtube videos, etc at regular intervals.
It is a lot of work. We have been very fortunate to have sponsors, but like jsstump#70 says IT'S A HARD THING TO DO! Keep in mind that a good percentage of the funds (if you are lucky enough to get dollars) goes back to them in the form of free event passes, concessions, tranportation and meals. If they pay you in equipment then actual dollars will be coming out of your pocket to pay for the above to keep your sponsors happy. Imagine having all of this going on while you hold a regular job, prepare for the event, keep your wife happy and work on your own karts/house/hobbies/lawn. Many times, I did say many times, it would have been easier to work overtime and use THAT money to fund our kart team.

I have to disagree with racing promotor on throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks. Tried that for a few years, very meager results. Businesses get solicited by sponsor seekers all of the time. Since then we have individually "targeted" a potential sponsor and mocked-up karts and webpages with their logo ALREADY on the karts. When they can see it, they begin to feel the love. Showing them a blank kart or billboard and saying "Imagine your logo is here" hasn't worked well for us. Just my two cents, it has worked for our individual team, your actual mileage or application may vary.

The op is looking at how to get series sponsorship not personal sponsorship...The easiest way to go about it is to hit the trade shows and approach them when they are not busy and introduce yourself and the series to them and explain to them you are searching for different levels of sponsorship for the series..We had Jacket, Series, Associate, Class, and Fasttime sponsorship packages. We also customize them to the companies needs. For example if they only wanted to spend a portion of the amount of said package in cash and the balance in product we would do our best to accomodate them. We never go and push dollars on them. We hand them the agreements (all of them) and ask them to just take a look at them and see what they think. We always make it a point to offer a way to work with them to taylor any deals...We also inform them of what the benifits of marketing with them will be..Ie All social media presence, websites, logos on shirts, banners, track announcements, any promo items they may like promoted, reserved parking, pitpasses, ect. It takes some finess and it can be a little intimidating walking up to someone you don't know and asking them for substantial amounts of money/product. Good luck! Hope this helps some!

The op is looking at how to get series sponsorship not personal sponsorship...The easiest way to go about it is to hit the trade shows and approach them when they are not busy and introduce yourself and the series to them and explain to them you are searching for different levels of sponsorship for the series..We had Jacket, Series, Associate, Class, and Fasttime sponsorship packages. We also customize them to the companies needs.
Series or individual, very little difference from what Ive experienced. One series I am associated with has had a trucking company, Jeweler, florist, various retailers, Photographer, as well as "racing" type companies. ANY business is a target. Not just the ones at a trade show. The varying level of sponsorship is a great idea also. With the series mentioned, we offered to have a certain size decal on EACH car/kart for "X" amount and more for "Y" amount and even more for "Z" amount. Taylored to thier needs, like you said.
Keep in mind that a good percentage of the funds (if you are lucky enough to get dollars) goes back to them in the form of free event passes, concessions, tranportation and meals. If they pay you in equipment then actual dollars will be coming out of your pocket to pay for the above to keep your sponsors happy.
. Since then we have individually "targeted" a potential sponsor and mocked-up karts and webpages with their logo ALREADY on the karts. When they can see it, they begin to feel the love. Showing them a blank kart or billboard and saying "Imagine your logo is here" hasn't worked well for us.

Excellent point. Most every sponsor gets a certain number of free passes to the races. Maybe have them sponsor a particular race and give them 10 passes. Let the sponsor give the trophy. Get pictures of him and his kids doing so...blah blah blah. These pictures can/should be used next year to show new prospects what sponsoring gets them. The "mock up" idea is also a great idea. Most people are very visual. Take an old victory lane photo and put the prospective sponsor logo as the back drop/billboard. It aint easy, thats for sure. Some folks are just better suited for "sales" than others.

Back