Percentages you want-get all four corner weights(no spreadsheet)

M.D.racing

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/m...05-42-14_208_zpsxf2qv85p.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

Been trying to get my feeble mind wrapped around this scaling thing. Tryed to find an app. No luck. Computer programs only. Finally got my mind straight. Had to imagine all of the cross weight sitting on the left rear. So whatever amount I take off the LR, I must put on the RF to maintain cross. I must put this same amount on the LF (corrected by diff. between cross and left) to maintain left side %. Solve for that amount based on front weight/%. So I know what each wheel should weigh at the start instead of weighing and seeing where things are over and over. Now if we can just get the seat and all weights mounted on a giant etch-a-scetch mechanism, this will be easy if you know what you want. LoL. I know it's hard to follow my scribbling on the attached image. I figured it out a while back and when I ran across it again, it took me a while to figure out what the h*** I was doing.(old age lol) Once you see it tho; you've got it. No spreadsheet,no computer. Pencil paper calculator....

Try garage buddy its a free app , also compgoparts.com under the technical section.
hope this helps
Thanks. I'll check them out. I just can't stand it when I know there has to be a way to
figure something out. So I force myself to see the math relationships. Crazy I know.
Thought it might help somebody setup there kart without carrying it to somebody else
and paying bucks.

Compgoparts.com under kart scaling. Very cool. Thanks "wormm"
Leave it to an old school fart like me to do it the hard way.
Anyway mission accomplished. It's hard to find things like that sometimes.
Maybe it will help someone trying to get setup. All thanks to wormm.

A fair warning to anyone who uses the compgoparts.com scaling tool, it is not right. The way it calculates, it gets the front and cross right, but the left % can be up to a whole percentage off.

A fair warning to anyone who uses the compgoparts.com scaling tool, it is not right. The way it calculates, it gets the front and cross right, but the left % can be up to a whole percentage off.
I didn't see any errors when I checked it out. Can explain further?

It's nice that it has the ability to take your four corner weights and give
your percentages but that's pretty much duck soup with a calculator.
It's going the other way that gets a little harder. Knowing the percentages
you want and finding what your four corners should be.

thanks for the heads up on the comgoparts scaling tooling , but its still probably closer than my scales , i personally use the app . garage buddy . seems to work good , you might give it a try
thanks

I am only talking about the calculate weight part where you put in percentages and it gives you weights. For example I put in 375 total, 47 front, 58 left, 65 cross and got the following:

LF: 76.63
RF: 99.62
LR: 144.13
RR: 54.62

With those numbers the front is 47 and cross is 65 like it is supposed to be, but the left is 58.89. The numbers should be

LF: 75.00
RF: 101.25
LR: 142.50
RR: 56.25

I am only talking about the calculate weight part where you put in percentages and it gives you weights. For example I put in 375 total, 47 front, 58 left, 65 cross and got the following:

LF: 76.63
RF: 99.62
LR: 144.13
RR: 54.62

With those numbers the front is 47 and cross is 65 like it is supposed to be, but the left is 58.89. The numbers should be

LF: 75.00
RF: 101.25
LR: 142.50
RR: 56.25
Well I'll be dang. You're right. Just goes to show, that even with a web site
and pretty graphics, you can be led astray by crap math in the background.
My old school manual way gets it right tho.
2x-26.25=176.25
2x=202.5
x=101.25(RF) Everything else can be figured from here.

26.25 is the difference between cross and left.
176.25 is front weight.

You can calculate everything with a pen and pencil. Or you could use a calculator that would speed things up a bunch. I don't know about you, but that's way too slow for me. Computers are too cheap. You don't have to know how to use a computer if you have a good spreadsheet like Excel. You just put in the numbers and up comes the results. My spreadsheet is protected so it's pretty hard to make a mistake. You put in the percentages and it gives you the corners, you put in the corners and it gives you the percentages.

There are actually a total of twenty-seven pages that allow you to do all kinds of karting related calculations. Corner weights, gear ratios etc. etc.

My corner weights spreadsheet is one hundred percent accurate also.

You can calculate everything with a pen and pencil. Or you could use a calculator that would speed things up a bunch. I don't know about you, but that's way too slow for me. Computers are too cheap. You don't have to know how to use a computer if you have a good spreadsheet like Excel. You just put in the numbers and up comes the results. My spreadsheet is protected so it's pretty hard to make a mistake. You put in the percentages and it gives you the corners, you put in the corners and it gives you the percentages.

There are actually a total of twenty-seven pages that allow you to do all kinds of karting related calculations. Corner weights, gear ratios etc. etc.

My corner weights spreadsheet is one hundred percent accurate also.

I do use a calculator. I just wanted to get the math in my head. It's pretty simple then. Your spreadsheets have the simple math in the background. I may not have access to a computer at a friends shop trying to help him with his son's kart. We've all become too calculator and computer dependent. I know. I sat behind a computer for 12 years, doing 3-D solid modeling mold design. Take Care Al....

I do use a calculator. I just wanted to get the math in my head. It's pretty simple then. Your spreadsheets have the simple math in the background. I may not have access to a computer at a friends shop trying to help him with his son's kart. We've all become too calculator and computer dependent. I know. I sat behind a computer for 12 years, doing 3-D solid modeling mold design. Take Care Al....
I'm going to take a guess, you know how to use a computer, but you can't afford a small portable unit. I understand. I'm retired and my eyes are bad. Pretty hard for me to use a portable. The screen I have is twenty-seven inches and I still have to enlarge the image to be comfortable reading it. I to use a calculator also, I have one that converts metric to English and vice versa, that comes in real handy. I'm not all that good with math and the calculations to convert percentages to corner weights are pretty tough math. In fact, the math that my computer uses was given to me by a Bob's subscriber. Stupid me I forgot his name. I would love to give him credit if he's listening. What's nice is, it's real hard to make a mistake, which I would often do with a calculator.

I wonder, does your friend have a computer? My program is free for the asking. The only drawback is that you need Excel, about $110. In truth, I think the twenty-seven utilities in my spreadsheet are well worth $110.

The thing I don't understand is; why are there so many people out there that don't have computers, or don't have Excel, or are afraid to use them! People will go out and spend fifteen hundred dollars for computer scales, then $200 or so for a stand, but they won't spend the money on the computer.

How do I state this more clearly.

If cross weight is higher than left side weight:
Add the difference between them to the front weight and divide by 2 to get RF weight

If cross weight is less than left side weight:
Subtract the difference from the front weight and divide by 2 to get RF weight.

If cross and left side weight are equal:
Just divide front weight by 2 to get RF (both fronts equal)

Subtract RF from front to get LF.
Subtract RF from cross to get LR.
Subtract RF LF and LR from total weight to get RR. :cool:

All respect to Al and his spreadsheets. I'm sure they are helpful.
I feel, most of us, dissected our toys to see what makes them tick.
I feel compelled to do that with math and mysterious programs.
We really are still in Kansas.
Technology just makes us think differently or not think at all, if we're not careful..
:confused:

How do I state this more clearly.

If cross weight is higher than left side weight:
Add the difference between them to the front weight and divide by 2 to get RF weight

If cross weight is less than left side weight:
Subtract the difference from the front weight and divide by 2 to get RF weight.

If cross and left side weight are equal:
Just divide front weight by 2 to get RF (both fronts equal)

Subtract RF from front to get LF.
Subtract RF from cross to get LR.
Subtract RF LF and LR from total weight to get RR. :cool:

WOW! that's easy math to learn to do. I can see if you get use to doing it you can look at numbers on the scales and easily, almost automatically, know the numbers you need. No spread sheet or electronic anything needed.

That's going into my "good stuff" file.

thanks

ps... do you have an easy version for those over 70? ... :)

ps again... I'm not 70 till summer and I'm still able to use the electronic stuff to figure it out.

ps again and again... ya know I don't have a grip on the fact I'll be 70 this summer. If ya have to grow up to get a grip on things like that, I'll happily never get a grip on it. ... :)

WOW! that's easy math to learn to do. I can see if you get use to doing it you can look at numbers on the scales and easily, almost automatically, know the numbers you need. No spread sheet or electronic anything needed.

That's going into my "good stuff" file.

thanks

ps... do you have an easy version for those over 70? ... :)

ps again... I'm not 70 till summer and I'm still able to use the electronic stuff to figure it out.

Lol..It's not that bad, is it Paul? Percentages you want for Front Cross and Left
Multiply those percents times the total weight and write them down.
Find the difference between the cross and left by subtracting one from the other.
Then do what I said depending on which is greater (cross or left)
Duck Soup! Right!....Lol

Back