Phenom question

kahaun

Ok, so I bought a Phenom, first time on Track I run into an issue of it pulling hard to the left ALL the time, even when you are just pushing it by hand...LOL

does great donuts! Spins out like you have never seen

1/5 Mile Track

378 Total Weight
56 Left
48 Nose
63 Cross

RF
Caster 10
Camber- 3

LF
Caster 8
Camber +.75

Toe 1/16 Out

Any suggestions would be great as I don't no much about a Phenom

57 left
46.5 nose
63 cross
8 + 12 caster or 7 + 10
+ 1/2 lf and - 2 3/4 - 3.0 rf
1 1/2 front and 7/8 - 1.0 rear stagger

Nose: 46.0-46.5%
Left: 57.0-58.0%
Cross: 62.0-66.0%

LF: Camber: +3/8
Caster: 7
Toe: 1/16" Out
Run hub in as far as possible without tire/rim rubbing spindle arm

RF: Camber: -2.75
Caster: 10
Toe: 0" Square
Run hub in as far as possible without tire/rim rubbing spindle arm

Stagger: Front: 1-1/2"
Rear: 1-3/8"
depending on corner radius

Rear Track Width: 39-1/4"
RR rim 3/16" from frame rail, adjust LR accordingly

Ok, so I bought a Phenom, first time on Track I run into an issue of it pulling hard to the left ALL the time, even when you are just pushing it by hand...LOL
the pull to the left is caused by the rear stagger. The LR is smaller in circumference than the RR. The reason for that is to help you turn left.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

does great donuts! Spins out like you have never seen

1/5 Mile Track

378 Total Weight
56 Left
48 Nose
63 Cross

RF
Caster 10
Camber- 3

LF
Caster 8
Camber +.75

Toe 1/16 Out

Any suggestions would be great as I don't no much about a Phenom

48% nose and +.75 lt fr camber is helping it spin out for sure.

Go down on nose to about 46.5 if you can and positive .5 lf camber. I'm assuming from your location you run tracks like bi state, 41, and Ben hur, so you might wanna try -3* on the rf. IMO

Hope this helps we love our Phenoms and their fast under the right conditions

the pull to the left is caused by the rear stagger. The LR is smaller in circumference than the RR. The reason for that is to help you turn left.

(Al Nunley)

Al, i am 1/2 rear. Doubt its stagger

Go down on nose to about 46.5 if you can and positive .5 lf camber. I'm assuming from your location you run tracks like bi state, 41, and Ben hur, so you might wanna try -3* on the rf. IMO

Hope this helps we love our Phenoms and their fast under the right conditions

Yes, and LV

Ive never ran less than 1" on a 1/5 mile, maybe 7/8" at the lowest. I would go to numbers similar to extremeracer but more specific, this:
1 3/8" front stagger
1" rear stagger (set stagger first and scale with feature air pressure)
46.4-46.6 nose (Get this exact)
58 left
65 cross
7 & 10 caster
3/8 lf
-3 1/8 rf

Al, i am 1/2 rear. Doubt its stagger
you could try putting two equal circumference tires on the rear axle and see what happens.

(Al Nunley)

Its an LTO kart, its going to go left on its own. The combination of stagger, camber, and caster, is whats making it want to go to the left.
If i pushed a kart and it went to the right, id throw it away!!

If i pushed a kart and it went to the right, id throw it away!!
the only way an LTO kart could go to the right, when pushed, would be if it had a really bad setup. Throwing it away, instead of fixing it, seems a waste.

Can you explain to me where caster and camber have anything to do with making a kart want to turn left? They help the kart turn left, when set properly, but I don't think they are have anything to do with making it turn left. Do the experiment, put equal circumference tires on the rear and push the kart. Real simple.

(Al Nunley)

Caster causes a pull to the left because there is less resistance to turn left when left front caster is decreased. With higher caster on the right front, the tire is trying to pull up as pressure is applied and camber also increases as the wheel is turned. The static camber starts the pull to the left, then camber increases at the same time, causing more pull. The left front is easier to explain. If the tire is leaning to the left, it will naturally pull in that direction

LOL. Did have both rights on the back and the same circumference...in a hurry and did not catch that one time.
Still turned to the left though, cross making the left front wheel not touch the ground had something to do with it.

Caster causes a pull to the left because there is less resistance to turn left when left front caster is decreased. With higher caster on the right front, the tire is trying to pull up as pressure is applied and camber also increases as the wheel is turned. The static camber starts the pull to the left, then camber increases at the same time, causing more pull. The left front is easier to explain. If the tire is leaning to the left, it will naturally pull in that direction

You're wasting your time. LOL

There are several groups of good numbers in the thread, hotelcalifornias are as good as any.

LTO karts will always pull left and the best ones I've ridden pulled hard. You do have a bit much nose for the kart so less may help.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Back