Pictures of my Cobra Replica

Factory Five Roadster which is a replica of a 1965 427 Cobra, 347 cubic inch small block Ford, T-5 transmission, 3.55:1 rear end, power steering and power 4 wheel disc brakes. 450 HP and 2200 pounds, YES it is FAST!! It took a little time for me to build but I would do it again.

The fun quotient on those is very high. I know a guy that had an original 289 version, and it was plenty. Enjoy all your hard work.

100mph down 385 - through Lead&Deadwood and then through Spearfish Canyon? That would be a ride!! I'm envious.

Factory Five Roadster which is a replica of a 1965 427 Cobra, 347 cubic inch small block Ford, T-5 transmission, 3.55:1 rear end, power steering and power 4 wheel disc brakes. 450 HP and 2200 pounds, YES it is FAST!! It took a little time for me to build but I would do it again.

What did it cost to get it to a driving condition

Very nice. I have a Factory Five 818 kit in my garage that I'm working on. Long way to go though.

At 2200 pounds do you think the power steering is needed?

John

Very nice. I have a Factory Five 818 kit in my garage that I'm working on. Long way to go though.

At 2200 pounds do you think the power steering is needed?

John

The power steering is very nice at low speeds, the front tires are about 10 1/2" wide and I run 6 degrees of caster for stability so without the power assist it would be hard to steer. I used a hydroboost unit out of a 2000 Mustang which uses the standard pump for both power brakes and steering. The pump was modified by cutting 7/16" from the pressure relief spring which reduced the pressure from the pump which allows plenty of steering "feel."
The 818 is a nice kit and looks like it will be lots of fun. -- Chuck

Very nice.

My wife told me when we first got married (15 years ago today!) that I could have any car I wanted, but no bikes. Not a problem, I never have had an interest in bikes. I mentioned a Factory Five Cobra like yours. She said "no problem, you do the math and show that we can afford it, and I'm fine with that. But no bikes." I have not been able to get the math to work.

To me, a Cobra is a 4-wheel bike. :)

Kevin

Really nice job, Chuck. Nothing can take all the aggravation out of putting it all together yourself, but Factory Five seems to have come awfully close. Yours looks just like the original that cleaned my plow in a roll-on on the way to an SCCA Can-AM race at Bridgehampton in 1967. :)

That's like asking a woman how much she weighs...
I have never cared about how much she weights . Only what it would cost to ride it. I know what Factory5 says it cost to buy the kit. What I want to know, is what does it cost have it be a driver. and not the Blabla F5 says. There after a sale period. I do know what It could have paid for a reproduction Corba Alum bodied. My buddy had biz deal with someone building a sort run of Alum Cobra Bodies for Shelby's company. and it came with a chassis set up for being battery powered. We were going convert it back for a Ford Boss 302 power plant. But his Biz need the cash more than he needed to car. And it went for what a F5 kit sells for. It killed him to sell it, and I did not want to be part of his loss. So back the question of cost of a driver.

I have never cared about how much she weights . Only what it would cost to ride it. I know what Factory5 says it cost to buy the kit. What I want to know, is what does it cost have it be a driver. and not the Blabla F5 says. There after a sale period. I do know what It could have paid for a reproduction Corba Alum bodied. My buddy had biz deal with someone building a sort run of Alum Cobra Bodies for Shelby's company. and it came with a chassis set up for being battery powered. We were going convert it back for a Ford Boss 302 power plant. But his Biz need the cash more than he needed to car. And it went for what a F5 kit sells for. It killed him to sell it, and I did not want to be part of his loss. So back the question of cost of a driver.

The cost depends on so many factors, I have known of pure donor builds (basic kit + 5.0 fox body mustang doner) done for around $20,000, that is with no frills and all work done by the owner and using all stock parts from the Mustang. Some builds have cost the owners in excess of $60,000. It all depends on how exotic you want to get and how much of the work you do yourself for instance a quality body work/paint job can run from $6,000 - $10,000, drive train again depends on whether you can build yourself or pay a pro. I see you live in California so you have to deal with smog regs, inspections and I think what they call a SB-100 for special construction vehicles.
I honestly did not keep track on my car but I did most of the work myself in my shop so I saved a considerable amount of $$$. If you are serious about building one you should budget at least $30,000.
There is only one company that I know of that builds aluminum bodied Cobras and that is Kirkham out of Utah, they build a roller without paint for somewhere in the $70,000 (maybe more than that) range and that does not include engine or transmission. Kirkham also built bodies for some of the Shelby continuation series that have been built in recent years by Caroll Shelby Industries out of Las Vegas.
The old saying "How fast you want to go, how much money do you have to spend"? fits here too. -- Chuck

Back