Piston Rule

got me some real hopes this season with the plans that I have for our motors. but I need a little bit of help.....if I swap out the slotted retainers for the split keepers, would it still be recommended to run a lash cap on them? I can go either way on the builds.... and thanks youngengines....what you said means a lot....and (whispering in your ear)....I heard that you da man when it comes to the hemi head and getting the most out of the engine....so i'll probably be sending you a PM here real soon!!!

WOW !!! This is a long piston thread ! But some good info too.... I like running the lash caps if rules are permitting, keeps from beating the valve stem up.

got me some real hopes this season with the plans that I have for our motors. but I need a little bit of help.....if I swap out the slotted retainers for the split keepers, would it still be recommended to run a lash cap on them? I can go either way on the builds.... and thanks youngengines....what you said means a lot....and (whispering in your ear)....I heard that you da man when it comes to the hemi head and getting the most out of the engine....so i'll probably be sending you a PM here real soon!!!
....:)

Does anyone know if the rules changed or stayed the same, for checking lift off the valve spring retainer ?

AKRA procedure/rule for checking lift has not changed for 2014 .... valve lift checked off top (front) of spring retainer ..... cam lift checked off pushrod.

WOW !!! This is a long piston thread ! But some good info too.... I like running the lash caps if rules are permitting, keeps from beating the valve stem up.

Yes that is true, i like to use the lash caps also, it definately prevents the valve stem from getting mushroomed if your floating the valves alot. If it were allowed, i would have an exhaust retainer on both sides with a lash cap on both as well. The cap also helps prevent you from dropping a valve if you float the valves too much.

..... cam lift checked off pushrod.

Is this a 'tech' procedure now, or just for converation purpose?

2013 AKRA TECH MANUAL

" ... Camshaft Requirements:

Stock camshaft cores only, ez-spin assy must remain as stock. Cam lobe base circle diameter .865" -.005”/+.010” Duration check for Intake and Exhaust lobes (taken off pushrod). Intake duration of 219 degrees at .050 lift/86 degrees at .200 lift.* Exhaust duration of 222 degrees at .050” lift/97 degrees at .200” lift.* (*+2 degrees for wear and gauge variances) Max Intake lift on cam .225”– Min .215”lift taken at the pushrod. Max Intake lift at the valve .238” Taken on valve springr etainer with zero lash. Max Exhaust lift on cam .232” – Min .222” lift taken at the pushrod. Max Exhaust Lift at the valve .242” Taken on valve spring retainer with zero lash....."

are you still going to be allowed the 3 chances to rotate the retainer when doing the lift check if its not within the specs or is it a 1 and done now?

I assume to allow for slight variations in factory rocker arm ratio tolerances

2013 AKRA TECH MANUAL

" ... Camshaft Requirements:

Stock camshaft cores only, ez-spin assy must remain as stock. Cam lobe base circle diameter .865" -.005”/+.010” Duration check for Intake and Exhaust lobes (taken off pushrod). Intake duration of 219 degrees at .050 lift/86 degrees at .200 lift.* Exhaust duration of 222 degrees at .050” lift/97 degrees at .200” lift.* (*+2 degrees for wear and gauge variances) Max Intake lift on cam .225”– Min .215”lift taken at the pushrod. Max Intake lift at the valve .238” Taken on valve springr etainer with zero lash. Max Exhaust lift on cam .232” – Min .222” lift taken at the pushrod. Max Exhaust Lift at the valve .242” Taken on valve spring retainer with zero lash....."

I assume to allow for slight variations in factory rocker arm ratio tolerances

hmmm you're close ... actually there is more concern with the minimum lift rather than the maximum lift, when checking at the pushrod.

The minimum lift specification serves as a means of controlling and limiting the practice of cutting lift off the nose of the cam lobe and then running an increased ratio rocker arm, while still complying with maximum lift specification at the retainer.

Back