Piston Rules?

stickySC

we have a class that's run where one motor has a flattop piston it can run, and the other has to run a dished piston. these are pretty much the same engines.

Some of you have been racing for a while, and I was curious if this happen often. where a spec is on the piston. but not everyone is required or even allowed to use the same piston.

As I thought about this rule more. It really dosent make any since to me.

for example.
In boxstock every one is required to use the dish piston. but what if a green motor showed up and it was allowed to use a flattop piston.

would their be no advantage to the flattop?

im still trying to wrap my head around this rule. The piston is one of the main components of making power. wouldn't this give it a advantage? wouldn't you want to make the racing as equal as possible.

anyone heard of some class of racing where one car was allowed a dished piston, and another it is illegal. maybe if its pure stock I guess. IDK.

thoughts?

You started this same crap over in the clone section and it got deleted. You even went as far as making a statement stating the you spoke to AKRA and they approved the use of a flat top piston in box stock. Now you are here in the general section trying to stir up things again. That is my thoughts!!! There are no engines coming from china that are have a flat top piston and we don't anticipate there being any either so take your "green " engine example ( the one you used over in the other forum that was deleted ) and throw it down the drain. If you want a rule changed we have a committee for reviewing ideas like you have. So find a representative in your area and present you flat top piston idea to him and he will give it to the committee for review. No need to come on here and stir up a controversy.

I don't think you read the fine Print Don. I never said AKRA. I was talking about AKRE what ever that is.. . Their are engines coming from china with a flattop piston, they have been here for almost a year now.. well they may be made some where else. IDK.

What I am talking about is the predator 212 motors. The predator class we have started out with one motor, the 730 non-hemi, then the Hemi showed up with its flattop piston an big valves. Both motors are allowed in this class. mixing of parts are not allowed. and the Hemis are dominating. to make it, more fair. or just to keep from buying another motor, I think the rules should be changed.. AGAIN! to allow the motors to use the same piston, make the hemi illegal, or to change the hemi to a dished piston. the class started out to keep money out of the motors, but people are spending $350- $500+ on a $170 claimer. an then you know what happens when they get claimed at the end of the night. They don't want to part with it.

In the thread you mention that was deleted, I never mentioned AKRA, or Jimmy Sims. I did mention Jimmy Simmons, and AKRE. I also said it was a Parody. IE not real. But the implications are very real and the class is real, and the Committee is also real.

right now on a more local scale a debate is taking place on what route the class will take. out of the box class, or continue with what we have now.
I was looking for a broader search for opinions on allowing the same bore and stroke motors, but require the motors to use stock pistons, as one comes with a flattop. therefore IMO creating a unfair advantage when stock parts are available for the flat top version

I will Speak to Stoney as to why the rules are the way they are. Im sure if He would have read the mentioned thread that was deleted, he would have been able to connect the dots as to what I was talking about. And He probably would have read the fine print, and seen that what I wrote had no implications related to AKRA. and that my friend is what separates a national level tech, an your Saturday night special. Now I know why there are so many errors that needed updated in a 2page section. I really wasn't trying not to call anyone out on this. But Don if you click on the Predator forum. The SPG rules are there, and you will see the No mixing of Engine parts allowed, or any of the threads you'll find a clone with the flattop piston.. IE "the Hemi"

Well thanks for the Help, but I found my answers.. Thanks JD.

The rules allow decking and cutting the head. The 69730 can get down to 18cc;s with the dished piston. There is no way to get the 60363 below 26cc's with out the valves hitting the piston. The rules make the engines pretty equal right now, if the flat top piston was allowed in the 69730 engine. It would enjoy a hefty advantage over the 60363. The reason is simple, it allows two different engines to run against each other and still be equal.

Well thanks for the Help, but I found my answers.. Thanks JD.

The rules allow decking and cutting the head. The 69730 can get down to 18cc;s with the dished piston. There is no way to get the 60363 below 26cc's with out the valves hitting the piston. The rules make the engines pretty equal right now, if the flat top piston was allowed in the 69730 engine. It would enjoy a hefty advantage over the 60363. The reason is simple, it allows two different engines to run against each other and still be equal.
Where would these rules be found? I wasn't aware of any '212' Predator rules that applied the moment the valve cover is removed....so too speak!

Back