Piston to big for head gasket.. What to run?

Wyomingracer

I'm getting my parts together to build my somewhat "open" engine for this season. I'll be runnnig the Wiseco piston 1982P194 that is 2.756 in dia. Today I measured and found that the Briggs fire ring head gaskets is to small for this piston. Does Briggs make the same type of fire ring head gasket for another model that would be more correct this piston / bore combo? Would the Model 15 head gasket work?

Thanks!
K~

Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you for your reply.. What is the best way to trim them to fit? Can I lightly run a fine hone through a copper (.040 thick) since I have so little to remove? Any advantage from Copper vs. Aluminum gaskets?
Thanks!!
K~

Brian,
I don't have a copper gasket yet. I need to run over to my local kart part supplier to see if he has one (may not for Animal). Any chance you have one in stock that you could measure? Sure would be great if it was big enough out of the package. I would REALLY appriciate it.. In fact, if you have one that fits, I'll just call and buy one or more from you.
Thanks!!!
Ken in Wyo

My copper gaskets are stock bore so you can make them what ever inside diameter you like.
They are .042" thick.
I also have them for 3" bores
I also have a variety of different size fire ring gaskets and non-fire ring gaskets.

In a perfect world I would like to find something like a normal Briggs fire ring head gasket around 2.8.. Anyone have any opinions on the open gap that would be left between the head & block if I did use a 3inch gasket? My gut tells me I would be better off to open up a copper gasket opened up with a dremel.
Thanks!
K~

In a perfect world I would like to find something like a normal Briggs fire ring head gasket around 2.8.. Anyone have any opinions on the open gap that would be left between the head & block if I did use a 3inch gasket? My gut tells me I would be better off to open up a copper gasket opened up with a dremel.
Thanks!
K~
there ya go. just be sure you do not have any over hang piston may hit pinching the ring land sticking the ring.

Back