Please help me help my son

BossHogg

Gentlemen,

I live in Utah and my son is in his second year racing JR2 4cycle out at Miller Motorsports Park. We are a football, baseball and basketball family but because of an injury my boy had to give it up last year so he got into this racing game. Unfortunately I don't have the skill set to support him. At the beginning of this season I told him I was looking for somebody to help us and he threw a fit. He said he would rather take last place every race than not work with dad. He said the best part of this is learning with his old man. As you can imagine it hit my heart strings and I committed to doing everything I can to support him. I have read every manual, message board and got as much advice as I can get. The problem is most of it doesn't make sense to me.

Now you know the history, here is how I hope you all can help me help him:

We converted to the LO206 from the Honda. With the Honda we had 17, 18 and 19 tooth front gears and 54-60 rear gears. I'm not sure about the brand of clutch. I read that @Morehorsepower installed a Hilliard Flame Clutch so I researched it. I'm thinking of buying one and giving it a try. The question is do I run the same gearing? Am I wasting my time and money even going down this road?

As far as his driving skills go I think he's pretty good. I paid for a few lessons and he seems to be getting it. I really believe he can compete if his dad can figure out how to make his kart competitive.

Thanks for taking the time to read my sad story and let me thank all of you in advance for any and all advice given.

Wish I would be closer to help. The Hilliard shoe clutches work very good and they are cheap too. Even if you are the best person around your son having someone around to help would allow both you and your son to learn many things and improve. I am sure any experienced driver around would be willing to help. That is how we have all learnt. JMO

Todd Godwin has a great book called Fast Start. You can find a link on my web page (http://nogoats.net/no-goats-setup-sheets/). It's worth the money, believe me. Your son has it correct. One of the best things about kart racing is the people and the kids working with their parents. There aren't any other sports that give kids and parents the opportunity to cultivate each others skills. And you will make great friends along the way.

Thanks guys. I ordered that exact book just yesterday. I wish I would have posted this first and I would have ordered it from you.

Should I use the same gearing for the Hilliard clutch?

What a great way to spend time with your son. I'm not to far away, so should you need any used Animal parts, let me know. I have lots of stock stuff & will treat you right to help your efforts. PM me if there is anything you need, or anything I can help you find.
Best wishes!
Ken in Cody, WY

I don't sell Todd's book. I recommend it because it helped me and I think it will help others. I know nothing about a Hilliard clutch. Sorry. Don't be afraid to ask your questions on here. There are lots of smart people who are willing to help. Also, please fill out your profile. More guys will be willing to help if it is filled out.

Bosshog

I'm in Ogden if you would like some help. You can give me a call I can answer your clutch questions.
(803) 729-9121

To answer the gearing question i need to know what the torque and HP numbers are for the Honda. Is it a blueprinted Honda or completely box stock.
Doe it have a restrictor plate? What RPM did you run it at? What kind of racing do you do? Dirt oval or asphalt or Sprint?
What's the website that would give me the rules for the Honda you ran before.
What clutch are you using now?
What makes you think you need a different clutch?
If you want to send me a picture of your existing clutch i can tell you what it is. fastermotors@tds.net

No matter which clutch you use you will not know until you hit the track with the LO206, it is hard to compare the Honda to the rev limited 206. They will be close but you may need to go a few teeth either way.

Thanks everybody. What a great forum!

@Wyoming racer, I will keep your contact number for future use.
@jriverss00, I will be in touch in the next day or so.
@Jimbo, I will take some pictures, gather some info and shoot you an email.

You all have been great. Thanks again

"He said he would rather take last place every race than not work with dad. He said the best part of this is learning with his old man. As you can imagine it hit my heart strings and I committed to doing everything I can to support him."

Never lose track of this statement. My son and I go to the track together and it's the best thing we've ever done. It's a family event for us including our new karting family. My son got a serious concussion from soccer and it was one of the defining moments for us. He still plays sports but karting has given him another opportunity.

We both raced for the first time last year. We weren't very good but we built an incredible bond that can't be replaced. You're doing the right thing!!

I know exactly where your son is coming from. I'm in my 40s and have my father as my pitt man and my competition in his mid 60s. I would not trade that for anything. Granted we are not bad at this, and he has been doing it since 1958.

I don't think there is any waste going down the road of the LO206 if you are in an area that a lot of people run this engine. We know how to build Clones, but we choose not to, and my dad would much rather work on 2-Stroke McCullochs that are 45+ years old. So we spend our time tuning chassis set-ups instead of trying to make more horsepower. You will be happy with its ease of maintenance, its longevity. And once you figure out the gearing, you will be fine.

Do you have a Mycron or some other electronic device to see where you are running at rpm-wise with the LO206? That goes a long way to helping with figuring out the gearing. The stop watch does not lie.

Gentlemen,

He said he would rather take last place every race than not work with dad. He said the best part of this is learning with his old man........... I have read every manual, message board and got as much advice as I can get. The problem is most of it doesn't make sense to me.

As far as his driving skills go I think he's pretty good. I paid for a few lessons and he seems to be getting it. I really believe he can compete if his dad can figure out how to make his kart competitive.

Thanks for taking the time to read my sad story and let me thank all of you in advance for any and all advice given.

Sorry, I am new here, and hope I am not over stepping my noob status here, but......
A. You have yet to say how old he is, but if he is old enough to read, I hope he has read every word you have...
B. Why are you having to figure out how to make his kart work....IMHO if he knows the inner workings of his kart, handling, engine tuning, pre and post race inspections, and general maintenance, it will only make him a better driver out on the track....again IMHO
C. Not understanding why this is a "sad" story, seems like an amazing opportunity to me....same opportunity my father and I had many many many years ago when I was 14 years old and he purchased me my first kart, a blown up engine, a book on rebuilding Briggs 5hps, and a few general tools and parts, and said "here you go, other than driving you to the track the rest is up to you". He has always been at my side as support and then some, but its always been up to me to gain the "skill set".

Sorry if this is no help to your immediate problem, but I think his attitude is great, and when he gains some knowledge and experience I believe he will excel.....besides, there is truly only one way to find out youve made the wrong adjustment, or missed the set-up.....and to me thats just as important as knowing how to do things right.

To your son, be safe, and have fun! Go Get'em!

My little man is 12 and racing with kids that are 14 and 15. I agree with "Slidewayz" and he does read most of the stuff I have. We work on the kart together and he is grasping it a lot quicker than I am. As a matter of fact, last season we were told to check the springs on the clutch. I was looking on the floor for a damn pedal and he had to show me where the clutch was located.

I am really amazed with the feedback. This is a forum that I now have bookmarked and I will come back to it regularly.

My little man is 12 and racing with kids that are 14 and 15. I agree with "Slidewayz" and he does read most of the stuff I have. We work on the kart together and he is grasping it a lot quicker than I am. As a matter of fact, last season we were told to check the springs on the clutch. I was looking on the floor for a damn pedal and he had to show me where the clutch was located.

I am really amazed with the feedback. This is a forum that I now have bookmarked and I will come back to it regularly.

Give me a call or send me your number would be glad to help you out . I am up till 10pm every night . You guys can come pit with use and talk . My son is 16 and is great with younger kids .
Bill 435 773 1784

BossHogg same as Bill. He and I talk a lot at the track. LilBoss is a good driver. If you need anything come by pit #48. My son Jacob is in kart #89. Jr 1 with the LO206 and a Hilliard.
Aloha
Marc

I wish I was closer. As a professional educator and long time karter, one of the services I provide to support racers is basically crew chief tutoring and helping crew chiefs (usually Dads) learn the basics the need to know to work on and tune their karts for their kids. Allows them to get the skills needed but not have a hired "tuner" to do the work for them.

Don't worry about not knowing to much right now. You both will learn together. Take it one step at a time, read everything you can. When we started I didn't know anything about setting up a kart. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask the track operator if he can suggest one of the racers that would be willing to help you along to get the basics down. Take lots of notes. For the boy it's nothing like seat time in the kart. The more the better. The 206 is an excellent way to go. Remember to have fun, you and he will make mistakes, even the experienced ones do. Try to turn them into learning what not to do. Good luck

Ben Braun

Back