predator 212 mods

minibikedude

Hi guys I have a 212 with a bm sr cam and 26 lb springs , I notice I'm getting valve float and was wondering if I can upgrade springs or maybe add some shims. Also I just took off the head and noticed a clean spot inside the head and some black soot along the gasket. This leads me to believe I have a head gasket leak. I sanded the head myself on granite with sand paper and my head may not be even. I used two .10 head gaskets , my piston is .014 in the hole . Should I try a fire ring gasket and sand the head down more to make up for the increase in gasket thickness? Can I use machine washers as shims for the springs? any down side to this? And will 10.9 bolts for my side cover keep it from vibrating loose? Thanks guys

I would suggest first trying the fire ring gasket, of that doesn't seal it up you will have to get the head milled the proper way. I'd suggest getting the head milled true before doing anything else to rule this out, and don't be trying to sand heads on your own in the future if you don't want to deal with this problem again. I use machine washers for shims myself, mainly because I refuse to pay what kart shops charge for "spring shim" that are really machine washers in the first place

I do not have a small machine shop around here that will mill my head , I have tried to find one before and that's why I went the sand paper and a piece of granite. I used two gaskets to try to get a better piston to head clearance. But after measuring my piston .014 in the hole I think I should be good with a .010 gasket for maximum compression :confused:. I re used two gaskets the first time trying to be cheap. But I have a new one that I sprayed with high temp copper sealer. Hopefully it will work , thanks for the replies

I got my shims last week in .060 , .030, .016 which shims should I use? I have the white stripe 26 lbers and a new rtc head.Thanks

Back