Predator 420 help

SourMash

First of all, Hello my name is Andy and I like whiskey. I do not race Karts but I do have a couple of predator engines on two mud motors (for duck hunting) and a couple on some Minibike projects. I am NOT a mechanic nor do I claim to be therefore I am open to what y'all can tell me. I have this 420 mud motor that I changed out the following parts on, removed the governor and added the billet adjustable timing flywheel for electric start, a billet connecting rod (but had to remove the oil sensor), a 280 cam (6k rpm), stiffer springs (not sure of the #), a robertsons torque tube with disc muffler and most recently a 34mm Mikuni carb. All of this was purchased from NR Racing as their stage 2/3 kit for the 420. When I originally ordered the kit I opted for the bored out Honda carb and I never was happy with the throttle response, it seemed to have a stall when I would go to w.o.t. So I ordered the above mentioned Mikuni. In the mean time, the engine would run fine (except for the initial stall) but I got to tinkering with the jet on the Honda carb, I drilled it to a #54 drill bit. I then took it to the water to try out and it would not get past about a 1/4 throttle before it would start spitting and stalling. I figured that I opened it up too much. Well, now I have this brand new Mikuni installed and the engine is doing the same thing. I have adjusted the timing from one end to the other and it doesn't seem to help. Can you guys give me some advice on what else I could check? I am absolutely lost now. Thanks in advance,

Andy

It still sounds like a jetting issue . Go back to the stock carb or NR bored carb and try Pilot .028" , Main .038" on gas . If your running "whiskey" try Pilot .034" and a Main .060" ..

I would think a 54 would be a tad big. I would guess a .040 or .042 might be about right. If you have stock air cleaner/filter it might be smaller. Make sure you are getting enough fuel from the tank. No kinked lines, Not sucking air anywhere. Be sure the fuel shut off on the carb is open and the little round o-ring type gasket under it is not torn. Be sure the carb has no air leaks where it attaches to the head. Be sure all the little holes in the end (both) of the carb are open. Be sure the head gasket is not blown. I have seen this a LOT in stock 420s. Be sure the spark plug boot is all tight and secure up inside where the plug goes. There is a brass screw thingy that can/will come loose. Check that head gasket first. I got a feeling.......

Back