predator built with animal carb advice

joshbfashiggity

Hey guys a couple questions regarding carb choices

First off, the list of parts currently in my engine

Honda 18cc head milles .065 ported (my personal hack job style)
Billet rod and fw
stock dished piston and stock bore size
black mamba with 26lb springs with retainers
stud kit for head and cover
ss stock sized valves and ss pushrods
1.3 rockers on intake and exhaust (why do most only use that on intake)

Anyway I have a walbro pz22 setup for methanol on it now. I have a tilly hl314a and a bp stock carb.

My question is would I be better off running the tilly or the bp stock appearing carb?
Why only use 1.3 rocker on the intake?

Will my engine keep up with a pro gas animal or lo206?

Any idea what kind of power im putting out?

Might be silly questions, but oh well.

Thanks for your time.

Regarding the 314a, I knew it was a fh carb, but you never know, maybe someone has had success with it before. Does anyone have any reasons for not running the 1.3 rocker on the exhaust side only?

Always heard you want the max flow on the intake side. The exhaust side isn't going to hold the engine back. Just not much difference in the extra ratio on the exhaust side...

The exhaust side doesnt really need the added lift of the ratio rocker, while you want as much as you can get from the intake side. Some people like to use a 1.2 on the exhaust side and a 1.3 on the intake, just to help get the exahaust valve open a little more in my opinion. More lift on the intake side = more air and fuel into the motor, which means more power can be made. Another thing alot of people new to building their own engines dont think about, when your setting up your engine after choosing your mods, play around with the coil gap and see what works best for you and with the flywheel your using, its another good way to fine tune your engine just a little more.

I would go with the Tilly 304wx if you have one or can get one, i believe it would work better for your build, but the BP carb should work fine also, better than an animal carb i would think, but i dont know anything about the animal cabs so im not sure, isnt that a Mikuni 22mm?

The Tilly304WX is far better than the PZ22 Walbro or the Mikuni 22mm. I have run all three on the same basic engine as you have. When the Animal guys see that Tilly they will cry that you have a big advantage and they can't keep up. I even had a cam with only a total .252 lift at the valve retainer. At that time I ran a 348-f out of the box.

gap and see what works best for you and with the flywheel your using, its another good way to fine tune your engine just a little more.

I would go with the Tilly 304wx if you have one or can get one, i believe it would work better for your build, but the BP carb should work fine also, better than an animal carb i would think, but i dont know anything about the animal cabs so im not sure, isnt that a Mikuni 22mm?[/QUOTE]

The exhaust side doesnt really need the added lift of the ratio rocker, while you want as much as you can get from the intake side. Some people like to use a 1.2 on the exhaust side and a 1.3 on the intake, just to help get the exahaust valve open a little more in my opinion. More lift on the intake side = more air and fuel into the motor, which means more power can be made. Another thing alot of people new to building their own engines dont think about, when your setting up your engine after choosing your mods, play around with the coil
you know...we ran tilly's when I forst got in to karting....the thing is about them, there is no idle circut, it floods the engine when idleing and yes, there are many times in the race that you have to idle around. I LOVE mikuni's carbs and a 22mm would be perfect. The animal carb is a great carb too, it actually has an idle circut a mid range and a full out range....and...so does the animal carb. I know this will stir up alot od stuff but this is MY opinion...peroid. We ran engine on the dyno many times, the Tilly would peak almost always with like .5 hp at one point but the animal and mikuni's would have a better range of power with out loading your crankcase up with what ever fuel you are running.
Hope this helps people....if you want the truth, always dyno engine....for timing, fuel and many other things...it doesn't lie.

Thank everyone for their input. If I can sell or trade a brand new hl360a or an American made (old school) hl314a tilly, then Ill look into getting a 304 or 348. I like the walbro, without any adjustments or crossing of fingers, it came straight off a slobbering drunk alcoholic animal and started up my predator in the first or second pull. Then idled like a stock engine, until the manifold bolt backed out and it got lean, then leaner, the 9217rpm by the time I was able hit the kill switch. Talk about scary as hell, heres my $99 engine revving to the moon in a matter of a second. Thank goodness nothing broke.

Regarding something breaking, I went to the track and on my second warm up lap I hit it on the straight and it didnt wanna go. I pulled into pit lane and tried to pull start it and nearly ripped my arm off. Anyway, I popped off the valve cover and my exhaust rocker nuts had come loose causing the pushrod to drop down in the head. It doesn't look damaged, but ill definitely compare them in detail.
My question is, how in the hell do you guys keep your rockers tight? I use the two wrenches, set my lash to .025-.030 and they always end up over tightening and pressing down on the retainers. Maybe I can try some locktite, maybe when I had the head milled I didnt install the rocker studs correctly. ...? I think it may be the latter. Any input is great.

On the 1.3 exhaust rocker, maybe thats what makes everyone turn their heads when in pull start my Chinese harbor freight motor, correct me if im wrong, but would that make my motor sound like half of a ducati? Lol. Makes sense to me.

LAST QUESTION. ..

I have a hemi predator, never even started, I added an arc fw because I was gonna build it up. Now im thinking im just gonna pull the flat top out and use the hemi head on my old predator. Anybody know a good amount to mill the head? My 18cc is cut .065. Id like to put stainless valves and clean the ports poor boy style with a die grinder lol.

Thank you for your time.

Back