Predator clone question

THUNDERWHEEL

I recently got back into karts after being away 20 yrs. Back then it was a yamaha on asphalt and now its a champ on dirt. At the 2 tracks remotely close to me one runs outlaw (open) motors and the other is akra clone. The kart I bought has a B & S animal on it. I purchased 2 predator motors on sale at harbor freight but have no idea what I can modify to run the clones in akra. Can someone please tell me what is allowed for mods and also which motors swap with clone parts. THANKS

You need to first look at ur budget.. Then you need to look into the 2 classes closer.. Some tracks will allow a predator to run in a clone class some will not... As for the open class you need to find out is it open to any motor? (Clone predator kt 2stroke 4stroke shifter so on... Then look at ur budget an see what is the better fit

Well I must say it sucks if I can't run a clone in a clone class.lol The outlaw class has a stipulation that the motor had to be a commercial pull start type motor at one time. Most are running the 390 or 420 engines. I have a strong animal but it doesn't stand a chance against the big bores. Anyone know what akra allows for mods to the (predator) engine?

Last edited:
Akra rules are rules for 196cc engines only they do not have rules for the 212cc predator engine. You can build a predator to alra specs but technically the motor would not be legal to run if they strictly follow akra rules because mainly of the bore and stroke of the predator engine. Also depending on the model predator you bout the hemi head is not legal as well and the rtc6&8 heads on the non hemi engines are not legal. You need to find out if they only allow the 196 clone or if they will allow you to run the predator. In the open class it really all depends how wild the other guys went on their big blocks depends whether you can build a small block to compete. Is there a weight rule in the open class because the big blocks are a lot heavier than the small blocks as well.

The big bores are built alot more than my animal is. There is a 425lb weight minimum. Thinkin I need to just get a bigun and enjoy.lol

That would be a good idea but buying one and then building it up is a bit more expensive than the small blocks but you have potential for more power as well. In open it all depends how much you have to spend and how big of motors your racing against

You said you have 2- 212s? You could do a train set up... There's mounts out there for them... If you can't find one let me know an I think I could build one... You would need 2 clutches... With the same gears... I can give u an easy build list to get 10+ out of each motor for $100 with out header...

I don't think 2 engines would be the answer in open class.I think one of the engines will be returned and I will buy one of the other clones (196cc). What mods would give the most hp to these engines for $200-$300 that are fairly easy to do? Also what hp gains could be expected?

Shop around, and for your base price of a 196cc clone plus the $200-$300 you mention, you could get a legal engine from a builder with all the tricks done to it ready to go. Then I would set it aside, and get well practiced and dialed in with the predator, then mount the race motor.

Back