Predator engine builders

OK2NV

Can anyone recommend someone that builds stock appearing predator 212's. A local track to us mentioned the other night they are getting ready to offer two classes of run what you brung for predator 212's. Only rule is it must appear stock and limited to either 6000 or 5500 rpms.

Any idea where Bartlett or Bud Wilson is located? I found a Facebook page for Bartlett Motorsports but wasn't for sure of that was them.

I think someone has their info misunderstood. A stock appearing that can only turn 5500/6000. Shucks your stock 212 will turn that without a governor if ya set the valves correctly
Ok, I will double check the rpm limit this weekend. During the drivers meeting last weekend the promoter said he was getting tired of trying to police everything and just open up the rules.

Are you talking about a box stock 212 predator with stock airbox and exhaust?
Yes. Has to have a muffler that looks stock and a carburetor that fits under the stock shrouding.

We raced a different track Saturday night and she was racing in a predator 340 class. Afterwards I was talking with what I think was the owner and he said it has to look stock from 5 feet away.

Ok, I will double check the rpm limit this weekend. During the drivers meeting last weekend the promoter said he was getting tired of trying to police everything and just open up the rules.
Your terminology isn't wrong but not what most people are thinking when they hear "stock appearing". I would think most hobbyist can build what you're looking for especially if it's 5500 rpm. If you want to go with an engine builder I'd be sure they clearly understand what you're looking for.

I follow what your track is trying to do. Other tracks have already adopted this mind set. Ask most people that race if they believe all the predators that have a "out of the box" rule are truly ran out of the box. I have a high level of confidence that most, if not all, will answer with an emphatic "NO!". Most people think someone in the predator class has a cheated up engine and they're probably right. Some tracks do their best within reason to ensure the top finishers engines are stock while other tracks turn a blind eye to it and allow people to run an engine as long as it looks stock. Your track is at least admitting that there is a possibility of this happening and giving everyone that races a fair chance by letting it be known you can modify whatever you'd like but there will still be a RPM check. They don't want to go through the headache of listening to accusations of cheating.

Is this track going to have a claim rule on these engines?

Before I jumped the gun on having an engine built I would get a complete list of what you are allowed to do to the engine. I have seen where guys jump the gun then have a nice pricy paperweight sitting on their shelf.

Your terminology isn't wrong but not what most people are thinking when they hear "stock appearing". I would think most hobbyist can build what you're looking for especially if it's 5500 rpm. If you want to go with an engine builder I'd be sure they clearly understand what you're looking for.

I follow what your track is trying to do. Other tracks have already adopted this mind set. Ask most people that race if they believe all the predators that have a "out of the box" rule are truly ran out of the box. I have a high level of confidence that most, if not all, will answer with an emphatic "NO!". Most people think someone in the predator class has a cheated up engine and they're probably right. Some tracks do their best within reason to ensure the top finishers engines are stock while other tracks turn a blind eye to it and allow people to run an engine as long as it looks stock. Your track is at least admitting that there is a possibility of this happening and giving everyone that races a fair chance by letting it be known you can modify whatever you'd like but there will still be a RPM check. They don't want to go through the headache of listening to accusations of cheating.

Is this track going to have a claim rule on these engines?
That is a loaded question. The one we ran this past Saturday does and it is $25. One thing I am not sure of is if you can claim anyone's engine or just the winner. Or top three.

The other track we race at, in the last drivers meeting the promoter put it to a vote of whether or not to be able to claim engines. I will say we abstained from voting but I watched who voted against claiming.

Now to be honest I would not claim anyone else's engine but I do see both sides to the argument.

In my opinion Claimer rules never have the intended results. A good rule set is the only answer. Then you will always have those that break the rules in order to win. It depends on track rules and the enforcement of the rules. Tech the winners to the first legal engine. But that is expensive and time consuming. In almost all stock rules, You can cheat up an engine with very little expense!!!! Unless you have tear downs, why bother to be perfectly legal.
On a stock predator it is easy to increase power without spending any money. Remember: the more air in and air out equals more hp.

In my opinion Claimer rules never have the intended results. A good rule set is the only answer. Then you will always have those that break the rules in order to win. It depends on track rules and the enforcement of the rules. Tech the winners to the first legal engine. But that is expensive and time consuming. In almost all stock rules, You can cheat up an engine with very little expense!!!! Unless you have tear downs, why bother to be perfectly legal.
On a stock predator it is easy to increase power without spending any money. Remember: the more air in and air out equals more hp.
I think this may be one of the rare occasions that I would favor the claim rule.
Now to be honest I would not claim anyone else's engine but I do see both sides to the argument.
I'm generally with you but in this instance I'd be fully onboard with claiming a competitors engine. Why won't some people claim an engine that they think is better? Because they have concerns about it's legality and don't want to run an illegal engine. If the track says the only tech is RPM and a visual you don't have to worry about what was done to it. As One Fast Cat points out you don't have to spend much, if any, money to improve the performance of this engine. I'm guessing that's what the track is wanting to not have to deal with.

If both tracks aren't running the same rules it sounds like it's going to be a mess.

I was thinking, Sign up and draw a pill and get my engine for the day with that number on it provided by the track. Return it at the end of the day and if tamper with you buy the engine and penalties to pay. No more excuses or having different engines for different rules or tracks. Tracks can actually benefit from this and so can the racers.

Back