Predator non hemi cam in hemi block

Bill8706

Hey everyone. Im new here and wanted to make my 1st post. So I thought I'd share where I'm at with my current build.

I rebuilt 2 yard karts for my older daughters and got tired of watching them ride while I stood there. So, I bought another one off marketplace to rebuild for myself.

It came with a non-hemi predator 212 that I wanted to build up, so I ordered about $850 worth of parts for it. During tear down I noticed a flat top piston, but didn't think much of it. Then, when I tried to install the new cam, it wouldnt fit. I measured the nose of it vs the cam that came out if it and it was .008" larger. Then it dawned on me that I had a hemi that someone put a non-hemi head on at some point.

Since I'm just building it for fun, I wanted to see if I could make it work and so far its going good. I turned the ends of the cam down .0075" and polished the last .0005" off it. I did have to replace the flywheel because I don't have the skill to bore and broach that taper. The compression height of the non-hemi flat top piston is higher. So my deck clearance is only .006" in the hole. I have a thicker head gasket coming. I've milled .035" off the head & ported/polished it. I'll check for interference tonight. And I made a timing key to add 4* timing to my 28* flywheel.

Below are my build sheets so far. If this is boring to you guys since you've seen so many builds or if it's in the wrong place, please let me know. If you guys have any input on anything I'm doing, I always appreciate advice.

20221220_102436.jpg
20221220_102441.jpg
20221220_102449.jpg

Thank you! It's an old kart that I haven't touched yet. I have some welding/painting/hardware to replace on it.View attachment 25974
THATS GREAT LOOKS ALOT LIKE THE VERY FIRST KART I HAD 30+ YEARS AGO, WE MOUNTED A FIBERGLASS SEAT OUT OF A LATE MODEL STOCK CAR AND SOME RACING SLICKS IN THE BACK AND I WAS HOOKED HAVE A BLAST MY FRIEND....NEXT YOU WILL NEED TO FIND A TRACK BY YOU AND GET YOURSELF A OFFSET KART

Back