Predator timing

Is there anyway to get 32 to 34 degrees timing with a stock flywheel on a hemi predator, thinking about changing camshafts but it requires 34 to 36 degrees timing, most offset timing keyways I've seen go up to 8 degrees, can you get anywhere close , or should I just bite the bullet and get a Arc flywheel with 32 degrees built on and us a 2 degree keyway. 🤔

What cam are you putting in it? When putting a cam in it you will want a billet rod and billet flywheel. Unless its just a tad bigger than stock cam you can get away without billet parts but much bigger than stock I recommend billet rod and flywheel

What cam are you putting in it? When putting a cam in it you will want a billet rod and billet flywheel. Unless its just a tad bigger than stock cam you can get away without billet parts but much bigger than stock I recommend billet rod and flywheel
Billet flywheel is only recommended if using big pipe, and open air filter, still have to run stock air box. Can run weenie pipe, can do anything on the inside just has to look stock on outside per rules,

Billet flywheel is only recommended if using big pipe, and open air filter, still have to run stock air box. Can run weenie pipe, can do anything on the inside just has to look stock on outside per rules,
Wanted to try the cl4 cam ,
I realize with the stock airbox it will still be limited, to what cam can do but still able to use stock flywheel per recommendations

If you’re running a weenie pipe you probably don’t have enough cam to run 34*. And if you’re running a big cam with a weenie pipe you have the wrong cam.

The stock flywheel doesnt care what parts you have in it. The stock flywheel has a chance of exploding if you turn it too many rpm's. Its a safety thing.

Is there anyway to get 32 to 34 degrees timing with a stock flywheel on a hemi predator, thinking about changing camshafts but it requires 34 to 36 degrees timing, most offset timing keyways I've seen go up to 8 degrees, can you get anywhere close , or should I just bite the bullet and get a Arc flywheel with 32 degrees built on and us a 2 degree keyway. 🤔
Use a different flywheel like an aluminum one thats lighter, get an ARC 0.615 racing carb, some 10.8 or 10.9 lbs valve springs, Autolite 3910X racing spark plugs, remove that governor, put on a top plate, relink the throttle, then get a floorboard mounted tank, remove that oem airbox and get an ARC air filter kit for predator 212cc, and thats how to make an affordable stock appearing racing engine, we made one and it puts out 11.08 hp & 16.42 ft lbs of torque

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-213322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-213322_Chrome.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220112-213546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-213546_Chrome.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Throw the key away, lap flywheel to crank. use degree wheel to set timing. Most people do not use keys. I personally have not used a key in many years. Just make sure you torque the flywheel nut enough.

I did some research, it seems that the stock ignition timing for a Predator is 20-21 degrees advanced (although I'm sure it can vary more). Typically 32 degrees advanced is a good starting point with these engines, NR sells advanced timing keys as high as 12 degrees, this would put your ignition timing in the ballpark. With that being said I do NOT recommend running the stock flywheel with ANYTHING but the stock cam. I would suggest you take a look at the PVL flywheel, it is much safer, and it already has 28 degree timing built into the keyway, its also lighter than the stock flywheel, OMB has them in stock right now for $72. The ARC flywheel is definitely a superior product if you want to spend a little more.

Use a different flywheel like an aluminum one thats lighter, get an ARC 0.615 racing carb, some 10.8 or 10.9 lbs valve springs, Autolite 3910X racing spark plugs, remove that governor, put on a top plate, relink the throttle, then get a floorboard mounted tank, remove that oem airbox and get an ARC air filter kit for predator 212cc, and thats how to make an affordable stock appearing racing engine, we made one and it puts out 11.08 hp & 16.42 ft lbs of torque
Thats not stock appearing though. Soon as you remove the airbox and relocate the tank it's not stock appearing anymore.

That is correct
We have a stock appearing motor for the track I run at and it has bored carb on alky
Billet rod flywheel and big cam and a bunch of stuff done to it and it is 100% legal for the track I run at

Some people don't understand the appearing part of that then. There's stock, modified, or stock appearing and they all fit into a certain category. Can't be more than one.

But anyway on topic for the OP like posted above ditch the key lap the flywheel to the crank torque and time it with a light. Whether you get arc or pvl ditch the stock flywheel.

That doesn't sound very stock appearing
Stock Appearing means many things, depending where you race. Here the Stock Appearing motors run stroker cranks, roller rockers, big cams, .690 small block carbs the whole ball of wax, just no external billet parts. Must run on gas and be pull started. We also have Pure Box Stock and KY Box stock. Both run stock air boxes and mufflers but its not uncommon to see in KY box stock a 310 cam, 26 pound springs etc.

Stock Appearing means many things, depending where you race. Here the Stock Appearing motors run stroker cranks, roller rockers, big cams, .690 small block carbs the whole ball of wax, just no external billet parts. Must run on gas and be pull started. We also have Pure Box Stock and KY Box stock. Both run stock air boxes and mufflers but its not uncommon to see in KY box stock a 310 cam, 26 pound springs etc.
Interesting because I thought Stock Appearing was like a heavy or light or medium upgrade predator 212cc for racing because thats what ive always know it as, that's what ive been taught, never knew that

The Stock appearing class that Jody Powell is involved in I believe runs methanol and can use electric start too.

Back